Author Topic: Beta reader experience  (Read 729 times)

Offline raevan1111

Beta reader experience
« on: August 18, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
I am searching for a beta reader for my completed manuscript. I am using a few different forums and have not yet found a reader. I do see that it is easier to swap, however, I have never critiqued a book or someone else's writing before. I also have never had anyone critique my writing before. My point is, I feel uncomfortable about a swap because I do not know what the expectations are and do not want to disappoint a partner. I feel like I need a beta reader for my book so I can see what they do, and then I can try it myself with a swap, but I can't find a beta reader. Does this make sense?

Offline DaggilarrF

Re: Beta reader experience
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »
Add a little information about your book. Genre, word count, maybe the sort of thing often called' back cover blurb'. Try asking if any potential readers would like to try a chapter to see if it's a good fit.

Offline raevan1111

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 09:50:34 AM »
Ok. Finesse the Wife is 80K word upmarket women's erotic fiction (I think, need help with pinpointing genre too)

Here's my pitch so far.

Finesse the Wife chronicles the journey of Lexi Allen, a devoted wife and mother of three who has always thought of herself as happy, at least content, and ready to move into the next phase of life as her sons are moving out of childhood, and her chaotic life is, maybe, finally slowing down. This is all thrown to the wind, however, when her teenage son joins a band and she meets the front man's dad, John, who awakens in her a sexual drive and a lust for life she forgot she ever had. As her son’s band, My Pet Zombie, edges toward fame and her marriage begins to dissolve in wake of her newfound quest for adventure, and, let's face it, men, Lexi examines her family's past and how her actions, or perhaps passive inactions, led her to where she finds herself today.

Finesse the Wife is a fast-paced narrative, interwoven with introspective questions, and sometimes answers, as Lexi tries to figure out how she has ended up in this unexpected place, at this unexpected time, balancing her roles as mother, wife, and now lover, as two men vie for her affection, Jack, the handsome, younger golfer, and John, the carefree middle-aged rocker – who happens to be married to her new best friend, Finesse.

Bridget Jones Diary meets High Fidelity meets Fifty Shades of Grey, Finesse the Wife dives deep into the psyche of a woman who craves new adventures just as society is screaming at her that it is time to settle in, and settle down. Thoughtful and reflective, often humorous, occasionally breaking the fourth wall, and with an underlying current of rock and roll, Lexi will try to figure this all out as she travels around the country on a national tour with her son’s band who has landed a gig as opening act for the hottest name in pop music, Preston Scott.

Offline Mentha piperita

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 10:30:28 AM »
I definitely think you'll have more luck if you offer a swap! You don't need experience. A lot of people just want a *reader* for a book--someone to tell them if they got bored in certain chapters, who their favorite character is, etc. Keeping a log of quick impressions as you read is always helpful. Of course, some people might be willing to do a lot more, like line edit, but as long as you're clear what you're volunteering to do I think you're golden.

Life's about to get very busy for me, so I'm not personally in a position to volunteer.

Offline raevan1111

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 10:49:26 AM »
Very good info, thank you. I could pull at least that off in a swap.