Author Topic: Querying a book with 2 POVs?  (Read 660 times)

Offline DJ Saints

Querying a book with 2 POVs?
« on: August 19, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
Please delete if not allowed. I recently decided to query my manuscript that has two POVs. It's a New Adult about a small college's paranormal investigation team. The intern for the team is the main character and holds most of the POV. The exorcist that enters the plot in the second act holds the other. I would say it's about 75%-25% respectfully.

My question is, for those of you who have a multi-POV story, how do you structure your query letter? Do you focus on one POV more than the other? Is it a priority to mention that the manuscript has more than one POV? I will try to hunt down and read any queries in a similar boat.

TYIA!

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
Re: Querying a book with 2 POVs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 10:57:46 AM »
Hi DJ Saints,

I am currently writing a dual-narrative written with two POV, both in the first person. So I will soon be in your boat.

I haven't written my query letter, but I think you can and should mention your story has dual POVs as part of the metadata for your MS. But when you include the blurb on what the story is about, you don't have to write it from one POV or another. You just briefly describe in a few paragraphs what the story is about overall.

Not sure whether this helps, but I've been relatively successful with queries for my first manuscript (I've been fortunate to receive twenty requests for fulls or partials) so perhaps my recommendation may have its merits.

I will be querying my second MS (the one with the dual narratives) in early November so may let you know then what I come up with! :wink:

Meanwhile, I wish you all the best with your querying!

Sincerely,

RCL

Offline ShadowBeam

Re: Querying a book with 2 POVs?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »
Hi DJ Saints,

Check out Query Shark's recommendation on this.  (https://queryshark.blogspot.com/search?q=pov)

Here's the part of the pitch that addresses 3 POVs and the Shark's response for you:

THE ABDUCTION OF EMILY, a mystery/suspense novel of 84,000 words, is an account of a kidnapping as seen from three points of view: the kidnapper, the kidnapped, and the people left behind.

Query Shark:

This last paragraph is the reason I chose this letter for QueryShark. I've never seen the problem of multiple viewpoints addressed quite this elegantly. The main part of the letter is in Emily's viewpoint, and we get a strong sense of her voice and character.

The writer then did NOT try to do the same thing for each of the other viewpoints, and that restraint is a VERY.Good.Thing. Instead, simply saying there are three POV's and whose they are tells me what I need to know.

This should be a template for anyone with multiple POV novels.

Hope this helps and best of luck!