Author Topic: Downside to Searching for a Literary Agent with a Book That is Digital Published  (Read 529 times)

Offline MythrilHeart

So, I've had my book done (I've re-read it several times now and had several others help edit the whole thing), but I fully realize that finding a Literary Agent can take some time. Months, years, decades. I don't know.

But I was wondering, if I were to do an online publication of my book, would it have a negative impact on my attempt to find a literary agent? I'm not entirely stressed about the downside of digital publication: I'm not looking for the money side of publication, and I'm capable of finding some readers. I kind of want to have it released and have opinions on it while I search for a proper literary agent and write sequels.

But could digital publication ruin the future of my book series and/or literary agent search? Would literary agents be offended by my digital publication? I want to make sure I'm not taking the wrong steps.

Offline jcwrites

Agents do what publishers want, and publishers—generally speaking—aren't keen on recycling a novel that's already out there, unless it's sold a gazillion copies and has the potential to sell several gazillions more. (Translate "gazillions" to mean thousands, not including giveaways. The actual number varies depending on who you ask.)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
For the time being, consider these two separate paths. If you indie-publish the book, then don't try to trad publish it afterward.

If you find a traditional publisher who doesn't want the ebook rights, then of course you're free to do that yourself. But most of them do want to publish the ebook as well.

Offline MythrilHeart

I see. Yeah, that I will definitely hold off for now. I'll see what the future holds.

Thank you.