Author Topic: Author name  (Read 480 times)

Offline sorchamonk

Author name
« on: August 31, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »
Should I sign my query letter using my author name or my real name, then give the author name?

Sincerely,
Sorcha Monk

or

Sincerely,
Sheila Miller
Author name: Sorcha Monk

Offline AVA_writing

Re: Author name
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:56:51 AM »
I sign with my author name. I figured if they want to sign me, then we can talk about the pros and cons of using an author name or not. That said, if your life outside of writing has a platform that will help signal to the agent that you have a following that may be beneficial to publishing, then I would include your real name.

my 2 cents.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
I would sign correspondence with my legal name and mention in the author bio that I publish under both my legal name and my pen name, (Firstname Lastname).

Offline sorchamonk

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 04:11:03 PM »
I've made efforts to keep my real name separate from my author name on social media, so there wouldn't be a beneficial connection. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:13:54 PM by sorchamonk »

Offline Mentha piperita

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 01:57:14 PM »
I read a long Twitter thread about agents begging authors to include their IRL name, rather than just their pen, especially if nothing turns up when you google your pen name. They wanted to know that the person querying actually existed. So, if you're traceable on social media with your author name or have a website, etc. maybe you don't need to include your real name. Otherwise, probably do.