Author Topic: mentioning my editor  (Read 210 times)

Offline sine nomine

mentioning my editor
« on: September 14, 2021, 05:30:31 PM »
I am beginning the query process for an 87000-word memoir. I worked with a developmental editor as I wrote. The editor really likes my writing (going so far as to use the word "virtuoso" for one chapter).

I see from other posts here that mentioning an editor will make agents think you can't write for yourself. That's not why I chose to work with this editor, though.

Will mentioning that there was an editor work against me? If I do mention them, should I mention their name (it would be recognized) or would that just be name-dropping? How pertinent is the information, anyway?

Offline susan-louise

Re: mentioning my editor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 05:59:03 AM »
Dear Sine Nomine

Congratulations on reaching the submission stage with your memoir! It's such an exciting time.  I have several thoughts:

1. My instinct, with experience in the editorial sector, is that it is not necessary, at this stage, to mention the DE.  It will simply take up precious space in your query letter  (see 2 below).  A DE, (called a Writing or Book coach in Europe) supports conceptualisation, from brainstorming to outlining, and accountability  as pages fly (or don't fly) off the lap top printer.   While editorial advice might be offered,  he/she is neither ghost-writing , nor co-writing,.  This is your work, your story, your writing,  and that for me is crucial. The fact that you have felt it beneficial working with one for your memoir is incidental.

2.  I believe a query absolutely MUST speak for itself.  An agent won't be concerned with how many editors you might have worked with, however famous  but how your query stands up to ruthless scrutiny.  Others of course might disagree.   

3.  If, on the other hand, this individual is actually  helping you to draft and write the memoir, then one is veering into co-authorship territory - eg A Memoir, written by X (with Y). 

Only you know where all this  sits in your writing odyssey.

In the happy event that  you receive "the call",  and you are in (1) above, that would be the time to reference your  collaboration, who this famous individual is,  and how it helped you to produce this amazing memoir etc. 
Hope this helps.  With  best wishes.

Offline sine nomine

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:34:39 PM »
Thank you! This was exactly what I needed to know. I wrote the book and they did a line-by-line edit. I hadn't thought of the possibility that people might think they did more than that.

Offline susan-louise

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 03:25:44 AM »
Happy this helped, Sine Nomine. Best wishes S-L