Author Topic: Accidentally imitating reality  (Read 273 times)

Offline PPeterson

Accidentally imitating reality
« on: October 01, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »
Please, DO NOT make this political or turn it into an off-topic debate.

I sketched the outlines for my book series back in 2014/2015. In Book 2, I had planned to have a viral outbreak which was secretly engineered by the antagonist in order to convince the public to receive a "cure", which actually contained nanotech for his nefarious schemes.

Now that I'm finally beginning my face-off with Book 2, I'm seriously reconsidering this premise. Outbreaks and vaccines have become rather hot button topics. I also know that, as artists, part of our goal is often to deliver insight and perspective into social topics. The problem is, this was just a fun idea I had for the book. I do not want my readers thinking that I'm making some kind of statement with this plot.

So what do I do? Write it anyway and spend my time explaining that "No, that's not what I meant"? Scrub the book and dream up a new plot? I've been spinning my tires on this outline and would like to hear some thoughts. Thanks!

Offline AVA_writing

Re: Accidentally imitating reality
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 03:09:20 PM »
my 2 unpublished cents.

I don't think you need to scrub it, but, given what we live in today and what we have learned as a society, the hook has to be unique in order for it to stand out amongst other pandemic books. If your plot is distinctive, go for it.

Online jcwrites

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »
It would depend on the story's tone, i.e., somber-eyed serious versus over-the-top wicked.

Offline PPeterson

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 11:35:16 AM »
It would depend on the story's tone, i.e., somber-eyed serious versus over-the-top wicked.

Yeah. It's a pretty grim tragedy, meant to be taken seriously. I'll likely be going a different way with it.