Author Topic: Social Media Links  (Read 589 times)

Offline rivergirl

Social Media Links
« on: December 03, 2021, 09:26:52 PM »
I'm starting to realize how important it is to have a social media platform. While I'm working on my following, I'm wondering if I should include my Twitter handle, Facebook ect... at the close of my query letter. Advice please.

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
Re: Social Media Links
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »
I wouldn't overwhelm the signature with links. Just choose one or two that are the most relevant to your writing and engagement in the writing community. I include my website link only. I may add my Twitter link or Instagram link, but I haven't decided yet. Don't forget that they can Google you to find out where you are.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »
Thanks, Jeanne!

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 02:08:27 AM »
For security, some email programs automatically send emails with links to the spam folder.

No idea how may agents have that kind of set up, but I stopped including a link to my web page.
I figure they'll look for me online only if they are already interested in my work, or they'll ask me directly about my online presence.

If I don't hear back from an agent, I wouldn't want it to be because their email security settings, rejecting anything with a live link, prevented the agent from ever seeing my query in the first place.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 03:12:56 AM by Munley »

Offline mikepellegrini

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 11:24:15 PM »
+1

Just as a matter of course, I NEVER click on a link from an unknown sender.  Too easy to get a virus from something like that - just by going to the wrong website, or even allowing images to open in an email.

If I'm interested in something, I'll google it to see if it's legit; see what the search results turn up.

I'd imagine agents would have similar security precautions.  Particularly with the amount of unsolicited email they must get.

It always surprises me when you see an agent who says they accept Word docx documents because that's another popular virus vector.  Perhaps they have some super duper anti-virus client?  Or maybe they open all the email on a machine running Linux?

Google is our best friend.  If you have a site, make sure your it's optimized for search engines.  Use meta tags when possible.

Offline audrawinter

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 08:58:38 AM »
I'm starting to realize how important it is to have a social media platform. While I'm working on my following, I'm wondering if I should include my Twitter handle, Facebook ect... at the close of my query letter. Advice please.

It really also depends on your following. Instead of links, if you have a significant following for something related to your book, I would mention that. This is what I did in my query letter (it worked!) but copying what was said above, links to to spam. You could say something like, “My Twitter page, @______, has over (insert amount of followers here) for (insert reason why).”

Also, if an agent happens to look at that Twitter or Facebook - and not sure if Facebook is super relevant in publishing - and it doesn’t have a platform, they may be wondering why you added it!

Hope this helps!  :)