Author Topic: Referrals to professional beta readers?  (Read 352 times)

Offline godisjealous

Referrals to professional beta readers?
« on: October 30, 2021, 02:13:13 AM »
My soon-to-be-finished manuscript needs a beta read, yet I don't have the time to exchange it with another writer and return the services. Could anyone refer me (whether to this thread or by private message) to a paid beta reader they've used before? Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 02:19:57 AM by godisjealous »

Offline susan-louise

Re: Referrals to professional beta readers?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:09:43 PM »
Such a shame you can't find someone in your extensive writing circle.

When I was looking for beta readers, I approached my former boss knowing she would be a really  tough reader.  Perhaps think of those in your professional/social circle who would do likewise for a bottle of champagne??   

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:11:33 PM by susan-louise »

Offline louise00

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 08:20:38 AM »
betareader.io is a beta reading website you could try? There's no guarantee anyone will bite, but the paid option lets you sent out plenty of invites to people willing to read. With a little digging about in their genre preferences and a good query, you might get some good feedback there.

Another option would be to google various book bloggers. Some will offer beta reading services on the side.

Offline Mentha piperita

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 03:26:11 PM »
Is there such a thing as a professional beta-reader? Depending on your price range, couldn't you just browse for services from someone offering a "developmental edit" or "manuscript critique"? These folks are pretty affordable and I've heard good things: https://www.writebynight.net/