Author Topic: different agents for different genres? (or a pen name)  (Read 101 times)

Offline Tallis

different agents for different genres? (or a pen name)
« on: November 22, 2021, 08:35:54 PM »
I am currently pitching a upmarket magical realist novel, but I also recently finished an older attempt (a thriller) which is quite different.  I'd be inclined to publish it under a pen name.  Do authors who write in two different genres ever work with separate agents for each?  (This would also allow me to pitch it at the same time, to a different set of agents.)

Grateful for any advice people can share!

Offline susan-louise

Re: different agents for different genres? (or a pen name)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:51:52 PM »
The wisdom is “submit  without hiding your real name. Publish under your pen name.”  So you would need to be using your legal name with the  other submission too.

But more important, there is a a certain etiquette  as most literary agents will only work with an author on an exclusive basis and like to build his/her  career, particularly if a début. 

Why not wait and see how your pitching goes with novel 1.?  It could  be successful!!   

« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:00:10 AM by susan-louise »

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 06:36:11 AM »
I have a pen name for my sweet romances. All my correspondence is done under my legal name. I'm independent, no agent.

When you get a phone call with an agent about your first book, that's the time to bring up your other genre. Ask the agent how much experience she has with thrillers and whether she'd be willing to represent that one, too, or if she's got someone else in her agency who would handle those books. You aren't the first author to be writing in disparate genres, so the agent has most likely dealt with this question before.

If they're both ready to go at the same time, then start querying the second manuscript to a second set of agents, and again--ask what they'd do about the first one.

Offline Tallis

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
Thank you both for the advice!  Makes sense.  (And yes of course, I'd use my real name in all correspondence and discussion.)