Author Topic: Agent changed query instructions and email address, should I requery?  (Read 223 times)

Offline mesmer7

Last year, this agent's querying instructions said to send all queries to the the agency's general email address. Now her instructions say to send queries to her individual email address, even though she's still at the same agency.

Also, the instructions for the agency say to just include the first chapter in the body of the email, but on Publisher's Marketplace, this agent's instructions say to include the proposal as a Word file.

I sent a query to the agency's general email address last year (Dec 2020) and never received even an automated acknowledgement.

Should I send an updated query to the new email address?

FYI: I'm writing non-fiction book on  hypnosis and sexual health, the agent is Eleanor Jackson at Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency.

Offline apcross13

Re: Agent changed query instructions and email address, should I requery?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
If the original query guidelines did not specify that they had an automatic reply to indicate receipt of your submission, I wouldn't think that was because of changes a year later (if I'm understanding the timeline correctly.) In that case, I would probably do some reworking before sending it again a year later under the new guidelines. Have you had any feedback or partial/full requests so far based on this piece?

Offline mesmer7

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »
Only one request for a partial, but about a half dozen compliments. Based on those compliments, I expected more requests than I received. But it's an unusual subject.

But I have reworked the query and proposal several times over the last year.

Offline apcross13

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »
Congratulations on the positive feedback! I would go ahead and requery, since you've reworked it and it's been a year. Most places say 6 months. Best wishes!