Author Topic: Agent Interest/Wishlist: Accurate or Tease  (Read 474 times)

Offline MelanieLang

Agent Interest/Wishlist: Accurate or Tease
« on: February 01, 2022, 08:55:13 PM »
Before querying, I study the agent's wishlist, comparative titles/authors, and general trends. I have noticed (more often than not) an agent will describe in detail how much they would love genre X that focuses on Y. I query, wait, and...then discover the data export button. Here I discovered I can see how many submissions they have received for genre X in like-forever, and guess what? They haven't requested or accepted genre X either ever or in 2+ years.

Here is my question: How do you know if the agent is REALLY looking for your genre if they have rejected every submission (or CNR) so far? I mean, why place the genre on the wishlist? Is this a requirement of the agency rather than the agent?  What am I not understanding here? Not a rant, just really confused. :huh:

Offline chellebelle24

Re: Agent Interest/Wishlist: Accurate or Tease
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 06:20:16 AM »
I'd say it's more likely to be that the agent hasn't received a submission in that particular genre that's really piqued their interest enough to ask for the full manuscript. All it takes is one submission to grab them and that submission could be yours!

Offline MelanieLang

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:40:56 AM »
 :) One can only dream.

Offline damdamdam

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 07:54:17 AM »
Remember too that they receive submissions from people who aren't using QueryTracker. They might be requesting those. But I've had the same thought!