Author Topic: Samples Pages on an Online Form  (Read 389 times)

Offline bulldozerbunny

Samples Pages on an Online Form
« on: February 02, 2022, 03:29:10 AM »
Hi friends,

Recently I filled out an online form to query an agent where I had to copy and paste 10 samples pages into a box. With all the formatting taken out, my pages looked terrible. I did not know how the agent could judge the beginning of my book. I felt this was an agent/agency who was merely going through the motions and not taking the queries seriously.

Am I right?

Offline Tallis

Re: Samples Pages on an Online Form
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »
Hi Bulldozer,

It's pretty standard, I'm afraid.  The same thing happens to my manuscript when I cut-and-paste, so I go through and manually correct all the formatting. 

To be honest, it's usually easier to remove all the formatting before transferring the text over, and then start from scratch.  (Very straightforward in Wordperfect -- you just copy the document and then "paste special" in a new document.  I'm not sure how MS Word handles it.)

Best of luck!

Offline bulldozerbunny

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 12:35:44 AM »
Thanks, Tallis for your excellent advice!

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 07:47:11 AM »
There is an easy way to remove possible problematic formatting BEFORE copying and pasting your writing sample into an online form.

Paste the original, as is, from Word into Notepad. Notepad is automatically included in a PC computer with MsWindows. No need to find it online and download it. Get it from your own Windows START Menu.

Notepad retains the basic paragraphs breaks and indents from the original, no other formatting. This will save you from messing around with your original Word document in a tedious, time-consuming, line-by-line way.

Some online forms give you the option of adding some formatting, such as italics, after you paste your text in. Many don't. Agents are aware of such limits.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 07:36:17 AM »
When I did sample pages, I'd paste into a new document, substitute all ^t with ^p, and then change italics to _italics_. I'd save it as a text document, then close. Then open the document again, and that should have stripped out any stray codes in the background, plus rendered the paragraphs readable on even the stupidest of internet forms. :-)

Offline Tallis

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 08:26:14 AM »

Yeesh.  All this makes me grateful for Wordperfect.  But I recognize that I'm one of their last five users.... why oh why did Word take over?

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
I adored WordPerfect so much. Imagine hitting "reveal characters" and revealing all the characters!