Author Topic: Building Query List for Urban Fantasy  (Read 2173 times)

Offline katekquinn

• Blog:
Building Query List for Urban Fantasy
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
So, I'm getting close enough to the end of my WIP that I am starting to think about building a list of agents to query once it is ready.  It is an Urban Fantasy but that is not one of the genre choices in the QT agent search.  It has romantic elements, so I can use that.  I guess I can choose Fantasy too, although I don't know if I really consider it truly being within that genre.  What else?  Commercial fiction?  Contemporary?  My main character is female so women's fiction? 

I just want to begin by querying agents who are the closest possible match andwas just wondering what other people who have queried within this genre have done. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!   :)

Offline JeanneT

Re: Building Query List for Urban Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:15:51 PM »
Urban fantasy is definitely part of the fantasy genre. Many fantasy agents like to handle it and it's doing well selling these days.

Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Offline archetype

• The Writer's Guide to Psychology
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:54:12 PM »
Hey Kate --

Search for agents who represent 1) Fantasy and 2) Romance.

Then for each agent visit his or her website and/or AgentQuery.  It will say if s/he is looking for Urban Fantasy in particular.  And since I recently did the same process, lots are!!
Now Available! THE WRITER'S GUIDE TO PSYCHOLOGY: How to Write Accurately About Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior (Quill Driver Books)

Get more info at http://writersguidetopsychology.com/

Offline katekquinn

• Blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:39:09 PM »
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards looking at romance first, but I think you are both right with putting fantasy first - especially since the romantic elements are not the core of the story and there is no HEA... well I haven't actually written the end yet, but the way I am going it doesn't look like everyone is going to join hands and sing together beneath a bright and shiny rainbow.    ;D

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards looking at romance first, but I think you are both right with putting fantasy first - especially since the romantic elements are not the core of the story and there is no HEA... well I haven't actually written the end yet, but the way I am going it doesn't look like everyone is going to join hands and sing together beneath a bright and shiny rainbow.    ;D
I'd often wondered the same thing. Mine is UF with romantic elements but I can't call it a romance because it doesn't fit the form. I'm under the impression that romances need to give the reader a sense of positive completion at the end--and things don't end so well. Not in book one, anyway. :wink:

But if I'm wrong, and the romantic elements are enough (a central theme is the love story) then holy cow! I've got at least a hundred or two more queries to send off!

Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »
And then my QT Blog email came this morning and explained all things genre.

Perfect timing ladies! At least I know it's not romance and I've been querying it right. . .

Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com