Author Topic: Commiserating on waiting times?  (Read 608 times)

Offline LStein

Commiserating on waiting times?
« on: February 06, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »
Hi all,

I'm posting just because I'm anxious that I haven't heard back from most of the agents I've queried. Granted, I sent my first queries 1 week ago exactly, but I purposefully chose a number of agents who reject or request quickly, so I'd know if my query is working. I have had one request so far, which I'm thrilled about, but I'm also anxiously waiting to hear back from that agent lol.

Anyone else feeling the same anxiety? How long have you been waiting to hear back from your latest (or first) round of queries? How are you distracting yourself?  :)

Offline Tallis

Re: Commiserating on waiting times?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 01:44:30 PM »
Hi LStein,

I hear ya.  Candidly, even one full request -- after only a week! -- already puts you in a better place than many aspiring writers.  Take some courage from that! 

But yes, the waiting is tortuous.  You can drive yourself nuts trying to read the tea leaves.  Silence can be good news:  you've made it past a first cut and are in a maybe pile... or bad:  you've already been rejected and are never going to hear anything. 

To give you some perspective, my own waitlist currently ranges from four weeks to three months.  The last of those is almost certainly not interested, and I should take them off the list.  Others (judging by their past habits and the querytracker timeline) may not even have opened it yet.  It sure would be easier if every agent at least committed to responding... but that's not the world we live in.

As for waiting on the full request:  do have some empathy for the agent.  They're handling all of their current clients' business (which means reading through manuscripts and publishing contracts), plus trying to read umpteen manuscripts for possible new clients.  Even just three potentials on the docket could mean a thousand pages of reading.  I got a reply to my full request after a month, and felt lucky with that.

BUT:  even pondering all of this does not make the waiting any easier.  I wish you luck and some more responses soon!  (And one tip, for what it's worth:  whenever I get a rejection, I immediately launch into an hour of tidying around the house.  Converting disappointment into labor gives me an outlet;  otherwise I would just mope, and what good does that do?  This practice also guarantees at least one small feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day... it's a manufactured silver lining, but silver nonetheless.)

Offline LStein

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »
Thank you for your words of wisdom, Tallis.

The full request actually came in 1 day but that's how this agent is. Almost all of her full requests seem to be within a day or two and most of her rejections too. (Of course reading fulls takes much much longer so I don't begrudge her the time she needs to get to it!) I do feel really grateful to have that to hold onto, even though I know most fulls get rejected. Man, this is a tough business we've chosen.

You bring up a good point that they may not have even gotten to the query yet and that alone may take months.

Weirdly, sending more queries seems to be my reward for getting a rejection. I wish I cleaned when I was stressed. My house would be a lot neater!

Offline Butters99

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 11:22:16 PM »
I am waiting on three agents with my full. One has had it since last August, one since September and one since December.

Meditation helps. And mojitos.

Offline damdamdam

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 06:09:23 AM »
I started querying in early April. I’ve received a fair few form rejections. No other responses yet. Argh!

Several of the nonresponders are agents I met at a conference a few months ago who seemed to like my pitch. Even if they don't like the actual query, wouldn't you think they’d respond?

So how long do I wait before I assume most are probably nos and move on? It's been about seven weeks now since I queried the ones I met. That's not great, is it?

Offline damdamdam

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 09:19:29 AM »
And that QueryTracker timeline is the business! I drew hope from seeing that in a few cases I do appear to be in a maybe pile, with lots of queries before and after mine having been rejected. Obv doesn't mean I won't be.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:28:27 AM by damdamdam »

Offline LStein

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 07:01:41 PM »
I'm also hoping I'm in at least one agent's maybe pile but that's also anxiety-producing.

I've been CNRing queries once they've gone 2 weeks past the agent's stated response time. But there are a couple who said they respond to everyone but haven't responded to mine, so who knows? Maybe they're going "no response means no" or maybe they're just that far behind.

I do think the best way of dealing with it is sending more queries. Then, you have five agents to obsess about instead of one.