Author Topic: Folio Literary and Memoir  (Read 632 times)

Offline dragnipur

Folio Literary and Memoir
« on: August 03, 2022, 10:54:53 PM »
Hey all, I'm about 40 queries deep with my LGBTQ memoir, having good success so far! 6 requests for the full. I am gladdened!

My MS is complete and following the advice of an agent friend, I have not had a proposal whipped up—I understand that memoir is treated a bit more like fiction in that sense, though it's rarely said explicitly on agency websites.

There are a couple of agents at Folio Literary I am interested in but there's some very strong wording on the agency website that they require proposals for all non-fiction projects. I am wondering if anyone has any experience querying them with memoir without a proposal. I'm thinking to go ahead and do it, but I wanted to check in here first...thanks!

Offline Somewhere

Re: Folio Literary and Memoir
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 09:19:14 PM »
I can't speak specifically to Folio, but I recently received an offer of rep for my memoir, and one of the first things my agent asked me was, "Would you be willing to write up a proposal?" Fortunately, I'd already created one after being asked for a proposal by another agent who was interested in my manuscript. Bottom line: I would strongly recommend creating a proposal as soon as possible, but I wouldn't let it stop you from querying. If an agent loves your manuscript, they'll ask for a proposal. They certainly aren't going to turn away a manuscript that they love if you don't have a proposal ready.