General > Welcome New Users

battle-scarred query veteran

(1/1)

damdamdam:
Hello, I'm a dual national US-UK writer querying my third novel.

The first one (chick lit, popular then - yes, it was a while back!) had a weak arc; the query got a good number of requests, but it ended there. For the second one (upmarket fiction, I guess), I only queried a small handful of agents, got a “useful rejection”, then shelved it. I agreed with the critique and meant to rewrite but had started writing this third book, which really excited me. I figured the first draft would be done in no time.  :D

Well, fast forward 3 1/2 years, and I started querying a couple of weeks ago. So far, I've only gotten a few form rejections.

Along the way I got an MA in creative writing, and a great workshop group, and studied the hell out of every plotting book out there. But... I think I may divert these energies into something else soon, because 10+ years of failure is probably long enough. Wish me luck anyway, eh? ;)

And yet I fear I might be so addicted to this ridiculous emotional rollercoaster that I may write another one anyway... Then again, I might take a different tack. Anybody here successfully selling erotic short fiction on Amazon? :D I'm not kidding, I think that will be my new project. I'll start a thread about that somewhere.

vivaviolet:
Hello!

Try thirty + years of failure. Woohoo!

damdamdam:
You inspire me - maybe it's not time to give up?!

(PS 10+ is on the low side. Don't ask how long I've been writing, workshopping, submitting stories and entering contests!)

vivaviolet:
Now would be the worst time to give up! And tomorrow you will be a better writer from the lessons you learned today, so tomorrow would be an even worse time to give up than today...and on it goes.

dominickentcanada:
I've been writing for ten years too but it takes a long time to learn the art form. Congrats on your MA. I wouldn't give up yet. If you're having a hard time selling a manuscript, focus on short stories for a bit. Can you write a functional short story? Write a few of those and get them published where ever you can. It will be a lot easier to solicit yourself afterwards. Might even score a publishing deal on one of your older manuscripts as a result. Publishers/agencies are always hunting for low risk contracts. If you can get short stories published, you'll be deemed lower risk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version