Author Topic: Beta and/or CP for adult SF - can swap  (Read 177 times)

Offline sorceror

Beta and/or CP for adult SF - can swap
« on: April 28, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
Kind of a quiet corner of this forum, but on the off chance... I'm looking for feedback on my current MS. What works, what doesn't, what's unclear, what's unneeded. Happy to read almost anything sci-fi/speculative.

(Content warning: mentions of, and a sequence containing, sexual violence.)

Query blurb version 5.2:

Everybody has bad days. Jim McAllister’s having one that spans two universes.

As an anthropologist, the chance to join the Time Eye project - to pull photons from the Bronze Age and view ancient cultures - was a dream. Plus a massive career boost, of course; totally worth leaning on his ex to score a way in. But then rogue scientists hijacked the Time Eye, sending an engineered virus back thousands of years. Jim, entangled with the controls, was helpless as the timeline warped around him.

Now, he’s the last remnant of the old history: a conspicuous, bizarrely-dressed young man who speaks no recognizable language. Thanks to the virus, men have never been a physical threat to women; quite the opposite. Jim quickly learns just how vulnerable he is - even before he lands in the asylum.

To have any chance of getting home, he must adapt to a very unfamiliar culture. Then, figure out who might listen to him. Then, convince them he’s no ordinary mental patient. Then sell them on a story that's not just impossible and offensive… but also, y’know, heresy.

That is… if he can survive the attention of the sanitarium guards for long enough.

SECONDARY is an adult science fiction novel of 105,000 words. It combines the stakes and detail of Andy Weir’s THE MARTIAN with a deeply-explored matriarchal world like G. R. Macallister’s SCORPICA, by way of Naomi Alderman's THE POWER.

Offline robertjlphibbs

Re: Beta and/or CP for adult SF - can swap
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 11:53:41 AM »
This sounds fun, and I'd love to do a swap. I will PM you for details. I'll also note that it's typically advised to not use huge best sellers as comps and to use comps from within the last few years, so The Martian kind of breaks both rules.

Offline Jub666

• BookNooks
Re: Beta and/or CP for adult SF - can swap
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 08:26:37 AM »
Hi sorceror

I would also be happy to read and feedback :)

Jx