General > Welcome New Users

Hello from Las Vegas

(1/1)

Loneshtar:
Hi Everybody (said in the voice of Doctor Nick)!

I am Dan Pasternack and I am an aspiring writer in Las Vegas working as a teacher and lead faculty for a college.  I wrote a non-fiction book about discrimination and exclusionary practices in baseball and I am currently shopping for an agent.  Additionally, I am working on a piece of fiction (time travel related) and planning a non-fiction book about my experiences as a teacher and coach in underfunded inner-city schools.  I love to write and would love to be able to see my work on the shelves at Barnes and Noble.  My father had two books about business published (one by Simon and Schuster and the other by Crown Business) back in the day and he always took such pride in being able to stop in a random bookstore while on vacation and find his books on the shelf.  After he passed away last year, I made it my goal to finally get my work published. 

Jub666:
Hi Dan

Good to meet you. Wishing you the best of luck with your journey :)

Jx

Neil Lynch:
Hi Dan!

Whilst your book on baseball doesn't really appeal to me (I'm British, we don't play the game), your work on time-travel does sound interesting.  I touched on trying to disprove the possibility of TT in my own novel I finished recently, aimed at saving the world.  After all, who's going to end that ecocide if they're still hanging on to the remote poss we could just turn back the clock and then get to wreck the planet all over again!!!   >:D

Hope you have a great time on the forum!

Loneshtar:

--- Quote from: Neil Lynch on May 18, 2022, 06:10:08 AM ---Hi Dan!

Whilst your book on baseball doesn't really appeal to me (I'm British, we don't play the game), your work on time-travel does sound interesting.  I touched on trying to disprove the possibility of TT in my own novel I finished recently, aimed at saving the world.  After all, who's going to end that ecocide if they're still hanging on to the remote poss we could just turn back the clock and then get to wreck the planet all over again!!!   >:D

Hope you have a great time on the forum!

--- End quote ---

I have always been fascinated by time travel, both the idea of the paradoxes it would create and by the idea of what the future looks like.  For me, it's a limitless branch of the genre that allows for a bending of all kinds of typical continuity rules too.  One of the books that really inspired me years ago was "The Time Machine" by HG Wells and I feel that my fiction writing style is similar to his (not comparing my skill or talent, just my general style...I can't possibly compare myself to the Father of Science Fiction) so that's a major part of what inspires this story.

I have another story I have worked on since the 1990s that is about a kid who gets involved in drug trafficking in San Diego but it's been kinda half finished for years.  It also feels a bit more like a movie than a book the way I'm feeling it. 

Munley:
Welcome, Dan,

Your books sound interesting. It's been years since I watched 1950 Jackie Robinson film where he played the role himself and Ruby Dee playing Rachel Robinson. (Rachel Robinson will be 100 years old on July 12, 2022.) You've just inspired me to watch it again. I also want to re-watch Ruby Dee in the film A Raisin in the Sun, whose title, as you probably know, is a line of the Langson Hughes poem, "A Dream Deferred." Here is a link to the poem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZIfdWiw3rU

I'm interested to learn from your book more about the current situation with discrimination in baseball. Good luck with your publication efforts. BTW, Politico just published an article on Baseball's special exemption from anti-trust laws. I don't know if the effects of that exemption have any bearing on your research, but here is the link:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/06/12/bernie-sanders-baseball-antitrust-exemption-00038630

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version