Author Topic: Agent asks for a zoom - can be something other than an offer? R& R or a rejectio  (Read 413 times)

Offline gmtz77

She said " I think your project is really wonderful and fascinating, and I'd love to schedule a time to chat about it. Would you have any free time in the next couple of weeks?" Also, if it is an offer, what is the exact language I should use to request the standard two weeks to respond (during which I'll contact others who have my full)?

Offline Viddiest

That's super exciting. It could be either, but hopefully an offer. I received an R and R (via email) but the email for the offer call was similar to yours. Fingers crossed for you.

Offline gmtz77

Thanks. Querying is such a roller coaster I would love to be done but I’ll have to live with uncertainty for another few days until our Zoom. I guess an R & R is good too - or at least better than a rejection.

Offline MKWrites_318

When it comes to that two weeks, you can ask or you can just tell them politely that you'll be taking the time you need. There's no one way to request that. "I'll need two weeks to think things through and decide. I want to be sure of my answer." or "Do you mind if I take the standard two weeks to let you know?" Don't be nervous about it. A good agent wants to make sure that you've thought everything through before agreeing to anything. I've heard agents say that if an agent seems annoyed at being asked to wait or pressures you to take less time that can be a warning sign and to proceed with caution.

There are all sorts of articles and YouTube videos from agents and writers about how to handle The Call/offers of representation. I'd do some digging through those and get your ducks in a row just in case. (BookEnds Literary Agency has a great blog and a YouTube channel I love. I also like iWriterly and Alexa Donne on YouTube. I've seen some of their videos on this topic, and they were really helpful.)

And good luck!

Offline gmtz77

@MK - thanks for those resources. I have a list of questions to ask, but I'm all in my head now that it isn't an offer because the email didn't say something like 'I'd love to work with you.'

Offline Viddiest

Fingers crossed. When is your call? My email didn't say anything about wanting to work with me either. As for asking for time. I just said, "a few other people have my full and I'd like to give them the courtesy to respond. Would a 2 week time period be ok with you?" Or some such. Good luck!

Offline gmtz77

The Zoom was an offer! I feel very lucky that this person gets the book. I'm reaching out to some others, but I will probably sign with her.

Offline Jub666

• BookNooks
Well done you! Fabulous news  :clap:

Jx

Offline gmtz77

THANKS! I hope my story can help allay others' anxiety about a call.

Offline MKWrites_318

AWESOME! Congratulations!  :clap:

Offline damdamdam

Big congrats! Fantastic.  :koolaid:

Can I ask how many agents you queried, how long you've been writing, what your genre is? (In case others of us can take hope from your story. 😉)

Offline Viddiest

Fantastic news!! Well done.  :clap:

Offline gmtz77

@damdamdam:
Yes, memoir.
I did a few live pitches at conferences just to get out of the house. The agent that signed me was one of these - I pitched her last November but she says she couldn't get back to me sooner because she was changing agencies.
I started sending out slush pile queries in January. I sent 10 in January and Frebruary, and then 20 in March. I only got 2 requests for fulls from the slush pile, 2 rejections, and overwhelming silence.
I don't care how busy agents are, I think the silence is rude because you wonder whether they ever read your query. After receiving the offer, I reached out to the others with fulls or proposals (there were some more from live pitches). Most have passed, two are reading. I reached out to some with recent queries I sent but - have been met with more silence.