Author Topic: The holdouts  (Read 2731 times)

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
The holdouts
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:37:29 AM »
So... I was curious.  Since we've entered a mostly e-query world, which agents still prefer paper?  I just trolled my old query list and I only found a couple:

Joe Regal
Katherine Faussett at Curtis Brown

who else is still strictly paper?

TG
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline newday11

Re: The holdouts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »
 :yes: Hi TG; I gave you your 1st karma; just kidding. Don't know answer to your question. newday11
SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR. In the Libraries of West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Pentagon, FBI Academy, DIA, Yale, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Rice, Alabama, Lancashire Library Service, Derbyshire Libraries, Dorset County Libraries,The Heidelberg American Regional and many more.

Offline paulwest

• Writings and Musings of Paul West
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »
Have you tried Agent Query? You can search for agents that accept e-queries vs all agents.
Visit my writers blog at http://paulwwest.blogspot.com/

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
So... I was curious.  Since we've entered a mostly e-query world, which agents still prefer paper?  I just trolled my old query list and I only found a couple:

Joe Regal

TG
You can restrict an agent search on QT by specifying type of submission.  I did have a few on my possibles list.  Of course, I kept ignoring them.  Too lazy to print and mail.

Tried it out.  You can't get JUST the snailmail agents, but it's easy to scan the list to find those with only dark blue circles.

Offline katekquinn

• Blog:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
I wonder if you were to go through and find all the agents who are paper only, if you would also find that these are super successful agents who perhaps aren't quite as hungry for new clients. 

It seems like this would be the case because like G-Woman, I think most people go after the agents who accept e-queries first.  That is what I did. 

And also an agent who I was on the fence about submitting to, I would figure it's just an email and send it out, while one that was snail mail it simply wasn't worth the effort.

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »
Kate-- that's exactly what I was wondering.  When I looked at the stats for the couple of snail agents I saw, there weren't many!

TG
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline ChristineF

• Ahhh Aydan!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »

Joe Regal

TG

Jodi Reamer @ Writer's House prefers paper

Offline katekquinn

• Blog:
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
Kate-- that's exactly what I was wondering.  When I looked at the stats for the couple of snail agents I saw, there weren't many!

TG

Yeah.  I think it's a matter of, "If you want me, you're gonna have to do more than simply C&P your query and hit send." 

Offline Sandy_Williams

• My Livejournal
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 03:19:31 PM »
I have about six agents on my list who only accept paper queries. Most of them are really successful agents, but a couple are lesser well known and/or new. 

On a sidenote, I haven't queried any of the paper-only agents on my latest novel. I keep meaning to, but then, it's so antiquated. I want an agent who's hip and on top of technology.
Sandy Williams
Writer of Speculative Romance

Blog: www.sandy-williams.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/brimfire

Offline newday11

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
 :rant: I agree BF; I didn't query any paper only guys. newday11
SECRETS OF THE COLD WAR. In the Libraries of West Point, Air Force Academy, Naval Academy, Pentagon, FBI Academy, DIA, Yale, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Vanderbilt, Rice, Alabama, Lancashire Library Service, Derbyshire Libraries, Dorset County Libraries,The Heidelberg American Regional and many more.

Offline gigilala

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »
I have come across a few who do only paper. Abigail Koons, Olivia Blumer, Denise Marcil, Claudia Cross just to name a few. I feel the same as those who have already posted: I see that they're paper only and think, "Ugh!" Then I procrastinate a week or so before going to all the trouble. The up side is that when you send a SASE you know that you're going to get a response (eventually), instead of just being ignored if they're not interested. And, yes, perhaps they get fewer queries.