Author Topic: Ghosting on a phone call email?  (Read 274 times)

Offline amanda91m

Ghosting on a phone call email?
« on: May 20, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »
Hi! I was so thrilled to get a response to a full from an agent asking if I was still looking for representation and if I was available for a call. I responded right away saying yes and giving my availability, but it's been eleven days now and I still haven't heard back. I sent a polite nudge at the one-week mark, letting her know my updated availability for the upcoming week, but still nothing.

Is this normal? My gut is saying that it isn't, but I also have never made it this far in the querying process, and I know that things come up and she's most likely super busy. Something could have also come up at work or in her personal life. Of course my mind is spiraling and I'm coming up with all sorts of reasons as to why she would change her mind about my book.

At what point would you consider this as a ghost? Would you keep nudging?

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Ghosting on a phone call email?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »
That's a new one to me. I'd never heard of an agent ghosting a phone call email before.

Is the agent active on social media? If she's active there, then it's less likely that something horrific happened. Is there any other contact information in the email?

I suggest you nudge again, but do it from a different email just in case the email address you're using is getting filtered into spam. Use the same subject line (or if you can, hit reply from your mailer and change the outgoing address there) so maybe the agent will see it.

Offline amanda91m

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
She doesn't have a twitter, so I'm not sure if she's active. Somebody did report on QT that she sent a rejection on 5/17, but other than that, I haven't seen any activity to her queries on QT either.

Offline damdamdam

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 09:24:15 AM »
Gah. That's harsh. Any movement on this yet? I hope she's been in touch!

Offline amanda91m

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 08:17:11 AM »
Hi! She did finally got back to me, but she asked if we could set up a call for almost a month from now...is that normal? Do you think that's a red flag?

Offline damdamdam

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 10:25:57 AM »
Well, I'm definitely no expert, but I would assume that has to do with project deadlines, travel schedule, etc. She wants to have time to prepare and give you her full attention etc.

But I suppose if she's going to make you wait that long, I wouldn't withdraw my submission from others or anything. Maybe it's going to be a R&R? Do they do those by phone?

Congratulations - glad you heard back!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:27:29 AM by damdamdam »

Offline amanda91m

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »
Thank you! I'm going to go into the call with an open mind. I can't help but worry that she's having second thoughts, etc. Definitely going to hold off on alerting the other agents until I have an offer in hand that I feel good about. I think there are scenarios where R&Rs are done by phone, so that could also be a possibility. We'll see!