Author Topic: Intellectual property theft of my published novel.  (Read 934 times)

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
Intellectual property theft of my published novel.
« on: June 14, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
Someone online has made an ebook of my published novel for downloading.

I have no idea who is behind this. The novel was published in 1998, only in hardback and papebrack.
I have never granted anyone rights to create and market an electronic edition. The original publishing house, which spouse and I were partners in, not longer exists.

This e-book just went online in June, 2022. For now, it is available for free. Found out about this theft of my work while looking for a book review that had been published years back. Of course, it really angers me, but I'm trying to stay level-headed and figure out how to address this. I guess the first step is for my old business partner, under his less recognizable name, since I'd obviously be the author, to request a copy to see what we are dealing with.

Offline damdamdam

Re: Intellectual property theft of my published novel.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 09:13:28 AM »
Ugh. The Society of Authors in the UK has reported on this and may have advice - but I see you're in Canada, and also, it seems like I've read in the past that this is hard for authors to do anything about. Such parties are often based in Asia (where apptly book pirating is common), hard to catch, etc.

Is there an authors' union in Canada that might be able to advise?

Offline Sandbox

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 03:18:36 PM »
This is awful, Munley. I'm so sorry.

Would this resource be of any help? It is worth reaching out, I think. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Good luck.

SB

https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/

Offline kidquid

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 06:55:15 AM »
It might help to lookup who owns the website (domain), it's possible you can get some info, name/address, although some ppl pay for their names to not be revealed. Take the domain name, in this case, lets pretend it's: scumbags.com (Put the name into these sites: https://who.is/ https://lookup.icann.org/en )

Longshot, but you might find some info you can act on and send them a legal letter. Good luck!

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll follow-up on these suggestions on the weekend when I have more time.

I agree that it is likely an Asian site --- or a Russian site. If it's a Russian site, I can at least curse them in Russian.
I  have a booklet called "That Is the Way the Russian's Swear," which has 100 foul expressions to choose from.

Offline msalem

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 08:47:00 PM »
Not sure if you are aware of the following, but there are resources you can access since you are Canadian:

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 01:37:28 AM »
Sorry this happened to you. That sucks. I hope you get to the bottom of this and get it taken down.

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 02:46:54 PM »
Not sure if you are aware of the following, but there are resources you can access since you are Canadian:

Thanks, Msalem, for this list of resources. I didn't know about the 2nd and 3rd ones you listed. I'll look into them.

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 02:48:43 PM »
Thanks, Viddiest, I'm hoping to get this taken care of soon. I've been busy with so many things, but I'm not going to let it go.

Offline JCFMathieson

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 11:27:29 AM »
In the USA here. Not sure about Canada, but you can have your lawyer (solicitor) send a cease-and-desist letter to the website. Once they know you have a legal representative, they may stop.