Author Topic: Full Requests But No Offers  (Read 524 times)

Offline A_M_Smith

Full Requests But No Offers
« on: July 31, 2022, 10:27:32 PM »
Hello,

This is my first time ever posting and just really need some encouragement or to see if anyone else is in the same boat. I've been querying for a while now on this particular project. While I have gotten many rejections, I have recieved 5 fulls, 3 partials, and one R&R. Long story short, I'm down now to just one full. All were rejections. I've gotten lots of positive feedback, especially with the opening pages, and I know my query is working (for the most part) because three agents asked for just the query alone and requested. Some rejections were standard "I liked it but not enough to champion" while others gave reasons why it didn't work for them. No two agents had the same reason though so not much I can do in terms of revisions and I did have critique partners.

I'm going to keep querying this project, but it's hard to stay positive when I felt so close and had high hopes. I know I'm not alone out here. Just needed a place to open up.

Offline susan-louise

Re: Full Requests But No Offers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 11:20:09 PM »
Your full requests demonstrate how well your query is working.  Above all, your opening pages are attracting positive commentary (bravo) from agents.  You're also approaching this strategically, ie. accepting feedback from fulls, and integrating it into your work.  This can only make your novel stronger. 

Having a trusted, talented circle of beta readers is invaluable, as I know from personal experience.  So what next?   

It can feel like one is climbing Mount Everest in slippers, but honestly, that's what this venture is like. Full requests are exhilarating but won't always lead to representation because, as you know,  an agent must feel passionate enough about the work to commit to the gruelling sales process.  It's never personal, or connected to the literary merits of the manuscript, but relates to marketability. Again, this is a subjective call  by the agent.    it's also down to timing (right manuscript on the agent's desk, at the right time).

I once submitted to an agent who requested my full, and then, wait for it,   sat on it for what seemed like decades (but was only 8 months.) I later discovered this was her habit until publishers said "do you have any books about X and Y?  Then, like a magician, she'd produce them. (Not mine :))

Finally, you say you will keep going.  That's exactly what you must do.   This process has its own peculiarly slow and painful timescale so in the meantime, start another work because that truly is the best antidote to frustration while tracking those submissions. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 11:26:20 PM by susan-louise »

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:07:17 AM »
Keep going. I had a manuscript like that, and eventually it ended up with two offers. Granted, the agent then couldn't sell it, but there were a bunch of things going on.

Offline A_M_Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »
Thank you for your reply, susan-louise. This project has shown much more positive interest than the last project I queried so I'm happy about that. I was really hoping the R&R would work out, but it sadly didn't. I actually didn't know about them possibly holding on to fulls until a publisher requests something similar, that's interesting to know. I'm just going to keep holding out that my query will land on the right desk soon. And working on other projects has helped me keep me busy and mind off it for the time being.

Thanks, Tabris! I'm sorry to hear the agent couldn't sell it, but you give me hope an offer will come one day.