Author Topic: Help with Genre  (Read 222 times)

Offline Berkvase

Help with Genre
« on: September 18, 2022, 04:46:41 PM »
I'm trying to find my genre on the dropdown menu, however, I can't find a complete match. Basically, my book is a coming-of-age upmarket/literary novel that takes place in the 1970s-1980s and follows the protagonist from age 10-20, as well as her siblings and parents. The story deals with a secret that the protagonist keeps from her family. Would this be considered a "Family Saga?" Or is Family Saga meant for multi-generational stories? Also, although the character is youthful, it is most definitely not a Young Adult novel. Would it be safer to just call it General or Contemporary?

Offline Telesphorian

• Do what you love and don't apologize for it!
Re: Help with Genre
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 11:04:10 AM »
Thats a good question. the categories always confused me. i think they mean different things to different people and are always changing. I'd say find similar books (you've read) and see what they're marketed as. I'm sure the category is less important than the query and content. I'd say the more generalized the better so they don't see the category and think - i don't rep that! Good luck!

Offline Writer_LauraBee

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 12:06:03 PM »
I'd choose literary I think...then specify in the query letter.

I have much the same issue...mine's a commercial women's historical fiction in which the MC ages from 16 to 34 in the book...I chose Women's Fiction as it seemed that her journey (for a lack of a better word) was the predominant thing.

Offline Talean

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:45:48 PM »
Genres, to me, seem like colours.

Those that are creating them will come up with a hundred different names for their particular shade.

Quicksilver
North Star
Krypton
Jubilee
Storm Cloud
Granite Peak
Outerspace

But to everyone else, it's all just gray.

So, like Ms. Bee above, I'd say you've got a literary fiction.
Designing buildings & writing stories.
www.talean.net

Offline jhartsock

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 01:31:24 PM »
I've had this issue too, as I think my book spans a few genres. What I've been doing (though I can't claim any success with this yet, so feel free to disregard), is selecting the genre in which the agent's description of what they want most closely aligns with the key features of my book. If there is genre overlap with a single agent, I select the broadest genre (usually upmarket fiction) and then explain the subgenres it fits into when I write my query letter.