Author Topic: Sample Chapter  (Read 72 times)

Online MichelleG

• MICHELLE GWYNN JONES - NEW GRACE NEWS
Sample Chapter
« on: September 23, 2022, 03:36:18 AM »
Does anyone know -

If an agent says to send your query and a sample chapter if the chapter you send has to be the first chapter or can it be any chapter?
"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Tallis

Re: Sample Chapter
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 09:34:56 PM »

Hi Michelle,

First chapter, definitely.  Even if you're prouder of some others!  (I've faced the same conundrum.)

Hope this helps....

Offline Lanita

Re: Sample Chapter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 04:38:25 PM »
Agreed. Always send the first chapter (or first pages if that's what they request), because the first chapter is the only one that matters at this stage. These are the pages your reader will read first, and just like reader, the agent has to be interested from the very beginning.

I once heard someone say they wanted to submit their third chapter because the first two chapters were kind of boring. My reaction was they need to cut the first two chapters. They're probably starting the story in the wrong place. It doesn't matter how interesting a book is if the reader doesn't get through the first paragraph/page/chapter.