Author Topic: My query was working, but...  (Read 365 times)

Offline Lorettakate

My query was working, but...
« on: October 24, 2022, 06:15:01 PM »
So, I had multiple requests within the first few weeks, but I have heard practically nothing since and they all turned into form rejections, even on a full. I have received a few personalized rejections on queries, including one VERY personalized one, but it didn't give me much to go on. Basically they said they really, really liked my story, the just didn't feel like they had the bandwidth to do it proper justice. I know it should make me hopeful, but I am starting to feel like it's time to move on. This is my fourth novel and it has gone much better than any before. Is it time to move on to something new? I feel like I have no more agents to query. I still have queries out, but since the lull, I feel like nothing will come of them. I know this isn't exactly a success story, but I didn't know where else to go. If you have any suggestions or help, please let me know!

Offline Sandbox

Re: My query was working, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »
How many queries have you sent? How long have you been querying?

You say this is your fourth novel. Keep in mind that the querying waters over the years have become very very very difficult--things have changed with the no response means no, and even the ghosting on manuscripts. If you really believe you did this book "right" for lack of a better term--maybe you keep querying to see if you can hit the magic combination of timing, luck, serendipity, subjectiveness, marketability... and everything else that goes into that pot. What do you have to lose? To keep sane, work on something else. Really, there is no answer... but to keep moving forward. Good luck. SB

Offline Lorettakate

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 01:27:15 PM »
I have sent about seventy and its been two months. I know that I am still early-ish in the process. The last book I queried got a request around three to four months after I sent it and I know that's normal. I'm also writing YA Fantasy, which feel IMPOSSIBLE to publish now-a-days. I write very, very quickly, so I am wondering if it is time to move on to a MG project. However, I feel like my voice is very YA. I'm just feeling a little down. On the bright-side, I just got another full request. I don't want to tell anyone because I feel like when I tell people exciting things, they don't continue in a good direction. However, I need to tell someone and this is a safe space for me. Thank you for the support!

Offline Writer_LauraBee

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 09:15:37 AM »
It's only been two months?

I've sent as many as you, but over the past seven months, in stages, adjusting my query letter as needed. Finally getting full requests (and "The Call," but...erm...long story bla bla bla personality clash). But I'd say it's a 50/50 split between ghosters and rejectors so far.

Interestingly, my greatest success so far has been with Twitter pitches. Moodpitch is coming up on Nov 3...might be worth checking out as Twitter is popular with your genre...way more than mine (Women's historical fiction...I'm supposed to be on Instagram, apparently)...

Offline Lorettakate

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 12:42:41 PM »
I know it’s kinda fast. And I have a twitter, but it’s mainly been for stalking agents, LOL, so I don’t have a presence. Will pitch contests still work if you haven’t posted before?

Offline Writer_LauraBee

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 02:30:02 PM »
Can't see why not! The agents check all the tweets with the hashtags.

Here's the website for more info:

https://moodpitch.org/

Offline Lorettakate

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 01:24:32 PM »
OK, so I checked out the website. Several of the agents on there are ones that I have already queried and either have my manuscript, I'm still in the query pile, or was rejected. Should I still do it anyway? Is it worth it. On another note, I have a story I wrote earlier this year that I shelved in July-ish. It's polished, but I have found a few books that it shares some startling similarities with. I hadn't even heard of them before I started and completed my book, so now I understand why it would have been rejected quickly. Should I pitch for that one, too? Is voice a big enough thing to get you noticed, even if your story is similar to others? I have learned so much about querying in the past year, even though I had done it twice before. You learn so much each time, you know? Is it worth it to post for that story as well?

Offline Writer_LauraBee

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »
You have nothing to lose, imo!

Offline Lorettakate

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 04:12:51 PM »
Could not be more true. Thanks for the help!! I appreciate it!!