Author Topic: Null and Void - A Paranormal Mystery  (Read 186 times)

Offline damekexote

Null and Void - A Paranormal Mystery
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:32:01 AM »
I know this is a very rough 1st draft. But I had to start somewhere.

Tai should have known better than to let her roommate and BFF Nico talk her into attending a reception for the Supernatural Council. It has been eight years since she turned her back on the Supe community. As the child of supernatural parents but possessing no powers of her own, she is considered Null. Now she lives a mundane life as a paramedic, with only her adoptive parents and her cross-dressing Vampire best friend linking her to the past. She spends most days working, reading, or helping her elderly neighbor Uka with her garden.
Meeting Viktor Asmuth, the owner of the club where the reception is being held, Tai has a bad feeling about him. Her world then takes a turn for the strange when she is attacked outside the club. When she defends herself by using a fireball, no one could be more surprised than Tai, and she is held responsible for the death of her assailant, a human. But no human should have been able to throw her around the way he did. Banned by the Supernatural Council from working within the human community until they can access her burgeoning powers, Tai finds herself at loose ends. But when she is attacked in her own home by an Inugami, a creature out of a Japanese nightmare, Tai and Nico join forces with old friends and Avinash (Ash) Montgomery, the tiger shifter that broke her heart. With each attack, new powers surface. The flying was easy enough, but the landings sucked. And don't get her started on the tail she suddenly has.
But Tai is not the only one going through a transformation. Suddenly her twelve-year-old cat Magoo sprouts a second tail and begins talking, and Uka seems to be hiding her own secrets. Like where she learned to wield two swords at once and how she knew what the creatures were that continued to hunt Tai. When one of the creatures possesses a Council member and another disappears, the answers seem to connect to Tai herself. When Uka's true identity as the deity Inari comes to light, things begin to fall into place. She holds one of the three Keys of Life, the Key of Wealth, and is Tai's grandmother. The Supernatural Council believes that someone wants this key and reveals that the holder of the Key of Health has gone missing. Tai learns that she is the last Kitsune, according to Inari.
The remaining Council members, along with Tai and Ash, are sequestered on Pack lands until the Council can devise a plan to stop the Inugami. During an attack by an old enemy, Tai can call her Kitsune form for the first time, that of a black and orange fox. Returning to the Pack house, she agrees to become bait to lure the Inugami out of hiding. Once caught, their creator will be weakened and hopefully stopped. As Ash and others set out to track the Inugami, she receives a call from Viktor Asmuth informing her that she needs to return to her house, where he is holding her parents captive. Once there, Viktor reveals to her that he is her birth father. Part Kitsune and part Strigoi (energy vampire), Viktor wooed her mother to secure the Key of Wealth for himself. Finding Tai was a stroke of luck; he now wants her to join him in using the key to become successful beyond their dreams. When she refuses, he attempts to murder her. But she is saved at the last minute when someone takes the stream of fire meant for her. Coming to the meeting prepared, she is able to pull a gun and kill her birth father.

Offline MichelleG

• MICHELLE GWYNN JONES - NEW GRACE NEWS
Re: Null and Void - A Paranormal Mystery
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 08:34:45 PM »
I liked reading your synopsis, that certainly isn't where I thought the story was going based on the query. That's a good thing.

In a synopsis when you first mention a character's name it should be in caps.

I think the story is very clear and the synopsis is well written.

My only issue (for lack of a better word) is -

When one of the creatures possesses a Council member and another disappears, ...

Is that 'another' Council member or another creature that disappears?  I'm betting Council member, but maybe that could be clearer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 07:40:59 PM by MichelleG »
"You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of isolation and the impunity with which crime may be committed there." - Sherlock Homes, The Copper Beeches - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline damekexote

Re: Null and Void - A Paranormal Mystery
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 05:45:59 AM »
Thank you Michelle