Author Topic: I have to share  (Read 5968 times)

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
Re: I have to share
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but usually when I see a preview for a movie, I'll search out a bit more about it before I decide to go see it.  Most times, if the ending or rest of the plot seems like a stretch or doesn't make sense, I won't go see the movie.  I'm guessing most of us are the same.  Why would I go see a movie that MIGHT not be good, when I can go see movie b. whose preview pulled me in completely and any other spoilers I've found about it seem awesome?

The preview is your query letter.  Most queries are terrible.  But yours sucked someone in--they wanted more.  Now they had two choices...they could "see the movie" (read the mss.) or "read the spoilers" (synopsis).  Agent chose to read the spoilers.  If you REALLY feel your ending works and is completely justified, then perhaps the problem is in your synopsis.  You need to show WHY this ending works in those few pages, and it's possible that's not being done in the best way possible. 

A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline 12yearovernitesuccess

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 11:21:07 AM »
I changed the synopsis to include the suicide question.  I also noticed that the original synopsis didn't say "freak accident"  so I think the agent just read into it based on her experience.  Oh, well, live and learn.

Offline violet

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
I agree w/ Gypsygurl...lay it all out...so there are no surprises.

It still sounds incredibly intriguing to me!!  ;D