Author Topic: I may be sick  (Read 3794 times)

Offline 12yearovernitesuccess

I may be sick
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:59:38 PM »
but when I'm researching agents to query, I get excited when I see they reject people quickly.  It's like I'm glad to know that if I take the risk of querying, at least I'll be put out of my misery soon!  Not only that, but I'm finding myself lured by the challenge of querying agents with a high rejection rate, or those who use form rejections.

Oh, and has anyone else wondered if agents have a site where they go to share their rejection letter ideas?  I think they might!  Maybe there's a secret book just for agents to thumb through to find their perfect rejection phrases. 

:wink:

Offline violet

Re: I may be sick
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
I'm like you...!

Pull the band-aid off quickly...vs. slow and steady... ;D

Offline abbyannis

• Abby Annis
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
I agree.  The quicker it's over with, the better.  The waiting and wondering makes me crazy.   :bonk:
Blog:  www.abbyannis.blogspot.com
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Abby-Annis/1707078413
Twitter: http://twitter.com/abbyannis

"Believe in yourself and there will come a day when others will have no choice but to believe with you." ~Cynthia Kersey

Offline YukonMike

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »
I was once rejected two hours after sending my query letter. I was so impressed, I wasn't even mad at the agent.

I hate the waiting.

Offline cheermom

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:07:20 PM »
I got a rejection within 2 hours of receiving an email stating they received my query.  I sent a ty in return and told them I appreciated the quick response.  I don't know if I did right or wrong, but it felt like the right thing to do.

Cheermom :cheer:
You can't grasp tomorrow, if both hands are holding onto yesterday.

Offline isinglass

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:08 AM »
It's sort of like -- if you have to get a shot, you at least want a sharp needle.

Offline angeldaybreak

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:11:50 PM »
I completely agree...with everything going on around here, quick responses are a plus.  Just chug some Mylanta and move on, LOL :)
Why be normal when being your own crazy self is so much more fun?!

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
There is one particular agent who is known to be particularly bad at EVER responding to anyone.  Well, I turned him around.  He couldn't WAIT to reject me.  I put my snail query in a mailbox on Tuesday morning, and SOMEHOW he rejected me by email on Wednesday.

He hated me more than you.  Enough to actually reject me!

TG
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline 12yearovernitesuccess

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
Maybe he has a really good psychic who told him you were going to query so he had the rejection already typed. :wink:

Offline pilot27407

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
Last December I decided to send another batch of queries. Sent in the first, was working on the second (pasting, typing name of the agent, e-mail address, etc), and got my rejection. Must have been 2 max 3 minutes. Now, that’s fast.
I also got a request for a partial in less than 5 min. Don’t know how she had time to read it. Turned the work down by next morning.