Poll

Finished 3 manuscripts. How is best way to find legit agent? I'm paranoid

Please comment
0 (0%)
Please comment soon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: New & have serious question  (Read 2966 times)

Offline So Cal Writer

New & have serious question
« on: September 15, 2007, 04:57:47 PM »
Stopped writing to be a bit more prudent than creative.  What is best way to find a legit agent?  Sooooooo many agents (Commercial Fiction) and I'm not a patient person.  

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
Re: New & have serious question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Unfortunately patients is exactly what it takes.  I've heard of published writers who queried 200 different agents before finally landing one.  I guess you have to REALLY want it.

As for finding the legit agents, you've come to the right place.  QueryTracker has a very full list of legit agents.  All known scammers will be marked with the flashing skull & crossbones so you know to stay away.  And whenever in doubt there is one simple rule to help you weed out the crooks:  If an agent asks for money, he is  a crook.

You know what else helps?  Hanging around in a forum like this where you can be surrounded by others in the same boat and you can get an inspiring pep talk whenever you need one. 

Offline audal

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »
Hi & Welcome, SCW...

That's the good news.

The bad news is that you HAVE to be patient.  No one is going to be able to tell you which agent(s) are best for your project -- you have to do all the homework.  See what agents rep work that is analogous to your own.  Research agents by name & read what others have to say about them.  Check their websites & see if they pass your personal legitimacy tests.

Thankfully for you, the QT main site is full of legitimate agents.  Many marked by a skull & crossbones are to be avoided, but ultimately, no one can be responsible for picking an agent but you.

That said, good luck!  It's not so daunting when you get into a groove. 

But patience is essential.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline DavidLewis

• The ultimate act of diplomacy!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:05:59 AM »
Patrick's comment about patience is 'spot on'. For what it is worth, there appears to be three factors that affect an agent's interest: The industry's needs (what will sell), the timing of that need (do they need it now) and the quality of the writing. When all these are in sync the burgeoning author seems to have a better than average chance of landing a deal. Timing seems to be the more heavily weighted of the three.
carpe diem in Iesi nomini
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:49:27 AM by DavidLewis »
David N. Lewis, Major, US Army (Ret), BSRT, CRTT, MSM

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:24:12 AM »
I too have patience issues.  I found the easiest way to do it was to use one piece of paper for each agent.  Take notes off QT, Agent Query, Google, their blog...anything.  Then you always have it and won't have to do it again! If you've written 3 books without jumping into the query pool trust me, you DO have patience!
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)