Author Topic: Advice  (Read 4153 times)

Julia

Advice
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
I know this forum is new, so I'll try to help get things started. 

These are the things I've learned about query letters (based on my meager experience)

Don't mention how much your family or friends like the book.
Keep to one page or less.
Say as much as you can about the important elements of the story within that one page.
Don't mention that it is your first book, or how long you have been writing.  Let your writing speak for itself.
Spell check, spell check, spell check (and I don't mean with a computer.  Do it manually or something may slip through)
Make sure the agent is really interested in the genre you write (this is where QueryTracker comes in so handy)

That's all I can come up with right now, but I know there are a lot more.  I'll add to it when I think some.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:05:49 AM »
Thank you Julia, those are all good points.  I am currently working on compiling information on how to write a query letter and hope to have it ready and posted in a few days.

Lotheus

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Agents often say that the query letter is a very good indicators as to how well you write, so you have to try to make this your very best work.  Put it through a few drafts and have other people read it.  And check out the book called "Give 'em What They Want."  Los of good information on how to write and submit queries there.

Offline LadyRae

• Artist/Writer - Rae L.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:27:19 PM »
Great indicators, I agree!

I guess it's always flexible too depending on the guidelines the agent presents on their site. For instance, I've seen one that says no more than 2 pages for the query letter and make sure to include future goals for your writing career. Those may be something else to consider.

Eek! It's nerve-wracking keeping up with all the ingredients to make it a perfect letter.  :bash: I had to take a mini query break. lol
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

-- Ray Bradbury

Offline cherie22001

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
Hello
  I am new here and I this is really a great site. I am just completing my first novel and I submitted a query letter which is about a page to a publisher. She wrote me back saying I needed to send her my entire manuscript to be able to give me the correct feedback. I do not want to do this but I was wondering what others here would do or could advise me? Thank you for any advice. Cherie

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
You didn't mention the book wasn't done in your query, did you?

Where did you find the agent's name? If she asked for the full ms, that is a very good sign as long as she didn't ask for a reading fee. NEVER work with an agent who asks for money. Never. Check the agent out on preditors and editors (the web link is on this site somewhere, but you can Google it, too. Notice the spelling of "preditors". :)

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 10:16:35 PM »
I'm confused  :huh: Is this an agent or a publisher that you submitted to? But I totally agree with everything justwrite said. I might also google their name just in case something pops up on a random website. I've found some pretty interesting information about agents that way!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:18:34 PM by Senshi »
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline BillyShakeaspear

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 08:55:07 PM »
Good morning people ...

A question for cherie22001 -- you say you're uncomfortable about sending the complete ms to a publisher. Is this a fear of having it stolen? If so, relax, it just doesn't happen. As noted by others, if the publisher reads it and likes it and then says something like 'I'll take it on but you must pay for editing/postage/rewrite/or anything' then let us all know who this is and then move on from this person.

Check out Preditors & Editors ...

Meanwhile, keep writing/rewriting/submitting/being happy