Author Topic: Is he kidding?  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Aiala

• Coming soon...
    • Random Ruminations
Is he kidding?
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »
I had to laugh, today I got a form rejection from William Clark after four months. I mean, what sort of delusional mindset would lead anyone to think that I'd put my life on hold for that long?? Good lord, I wouldn't wait four months for the Queen of Sheba! 

~A~
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ~ Dante Alighieri, Inferno
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7286455-she-s-my-dad
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry_all.

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
Re: Is he kidding?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:25:36 PM »
Too bad you couldn't bounce it back with an "Out of Patience" response.
Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
I once had an agent ask to see a partial after (literally) a year. I reluctantly agreed and then she had the nerve to NEVER RESPOND TO THE PARTIAL. (and yes, I did follow up. Amazing what we sometimes put up with)
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Offline Aiala

• Coming soon...
    • Random Ruminations
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
Amazing what we sometimes put up with.

So true. I let myself be jerked around for two years before I finally took control of my own destiny. Still, I don't feel bad because everything happens at the proper time, for the right reason. It's all good.   :)

~A~   

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ~ Dante Alighieri, Inferno
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7286455-she-s-my-dad
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry_all.

Offline twoheadknight

• "You'll never take me alive!"
    • Rebecca Knight:  Writer In Progress
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »
I just had one come back after 9 months  :crazy:.  The agent said she always responds within three, so I'd nudged at 5... no response.  Nudged at 6... no response.  Gave up. 

Then the rejection came at 9  :wink:.  Fun times all around.

You just never know.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:25 PM »
It was so rude, I refuse to nudge further. I consider it a no and one that would make me refuse to EVER work with that agent whatever she said.

I've had a friend assure me that NO agent is better than a BAD agent. And that is beyond "bad". No way I'd care to work with someone who treats people like that.

Unsolicited queries--fine. Something you've asked for--NO!

She promised a response within six weeks and six months later she WOULD be still sitting on the manuscript except that I've written her off.

Edit: If she came back asking for more, which I'm sure will not happen, she would get a very emphatic no. I've gotten all kinds of rejections, ignored queries, etc in my career. This is the first one from an agent that ever made me truly angry.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:11:26 PM by JeanneT »
Writing and More

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »
You have every right to be pissed-off, JeanneT.  Non-response to requested material is unacceptable. 
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I had to laugh, today I got a form rejection from William Clark after four months. I mean, what sort of delusional mindset would lead anyone to think that I'd put my life on hold for that long?? Good lord, I wouldn't wait four months for the Queen of Sheba! 

~A~

Only four months. How lucky can you get? It is those quick rejections that hurt me. I've got queries that have been out for a couple of years now. Until I hear back on a query, I consider it an active possibility, and it is certainly not considered a rejection.

My totals thus far:

1598 rejections out of 1612 queries sent.

That still leaves 14 possibilities for finding the right agent for me. I re-query the same agents sometimes to offer them a second chance. A few out of that 14 are obviously considering it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:42:19 AM by Nostrabuttus »
Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »

~A~

Only four months. How luck can you get? It is those quick rejections that hurt me. I've got queries that have been out for a couple of years now. Until I hear back on a query, I consider it an active possibility, and it is certainly not considered a rejection.

My totals thus far:

1598 rejections out of 1612 queries sent.

That still leaves 14 possibilities for finding the right agent for me. I re-query the same agents sometimes to offer them a second chance. A few out of that 14 are obviously considering it.

:rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2: :rof2:

I'm so glad you showed back up over here, Nostra.  I've missed you.
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing

Offline bodwen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
I've got about 4 manuscript non-responders, going back 11 months.  I haven't closed them out because I'm waiting to see how they'll respond if I tell them I have an offer. 

(Hmmm... who do I chose?  The agent who read my stuff and believed in it? Or the ones who blew me off for almost a year, until I told them someone else might be able to wring a buck or two out of my writing?  Decisions, decisions...)

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
I've got about 4 manuscript non-responders, going back 11 months.  I haven't closed them out because I'm waiting to see how they'll respond if I tell them I have an offer. 

(Hmmm... who do I chose?  The agent who read my stuff and believed in it? Or the ones who blew me off for almost a year, until I told them someone else might be able to wring a buck or two out of my writing?  Decisions, decisions...)

They requested a full and didn't respond?  Holy smokes.

Offline bodwen

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »
The one from 11 months ago was a notorious cad.  As far as I know, nobody hears back from him, unless its a yes.

The next was from OE right before the scandal broke.  I think I caught them at a "lie-low" phase.

The third told me that she rarely reps fiction, but she'd like to have a look anyway.  I guess I was supposed to take that as a "no, unless I say differently"?

There is still hope that I'll hear back from the latest one, since it was only 2 months ago.  I got another request yesterday and I'm learning to channel all my enthusiasm into the most current.

But if they can't spot Nostrabuttus's obvious genius, what hope is there for me?   :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:09:03 PM by bodwen »

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
Ha! Nostrabuttus scares them speechless.  :eek:
Writing and More

Offline isinglass

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:55:03 AM »
If they refuse to respond -- or are rude -- then they're off my list permanently.

Yeah, like they care.

The height of rude was the agent who asked for a full, then rejected it with a form rejection that didn't even say "Dear Writer." THEN, she refused to return the manuscript, in spite of several followups from me. She had the return ms. box with postage. I guess she decided to steal it and slap a different label on it for an Xmas package or something.

I'm already begging them to let me hire them and give them 15% of the take. I do have my limits.

Offline AshK

• ReallyRosie and AshK at #WFWAPhilly2016!
    • Ash Krafton, Author
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 06:13:21 AM »

Sometimes that doesn't even do it. I had two partials and a full non-respond to an offer alert.

The full was a snail-mail deal sent the week before, too.

That really burned me.
Ash Krafton | AJ Krafton

USA Today Best-Selling Author

www.AshKrafton.com