QueryTracker Community
January 19, 2018, 06:47:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Networking  (Read 3998 times)
paulwest

« on: July 20, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, but I'm wondering how can we use Twitter and Facebook and LinkedIn to best advantage?

For instance, my Facebook account has mostly family and friends talking, but I also have a lot of writing-related "friends" there also. Is there some way to separate these groups? I've tried to figure it out, as I believe there is some way to do that, but can't figure it out -- and I'm not exactly internet illiterate.

Does Twitter have a similar function?

And as for LinkedIn, I just signed up and can't figure out how to get all my writer friends into my "Imported Contacts."

Any suggestions, advice?

Visit my writers blog at http://paulwwest.blogspot.com/
cheermom

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 07:00:49 PM »

For Facebook, mouse over "Friends", select "All Friends".  The select "Create New List".

I have Twitter, but don't use it.  So, I can't help you there.

You can't grasp tomorrow, if both hands are holding onto yesterday.
Sandy_Williams

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 03:52:19 AM »

I'm not a big Twitter user, so someone else might have a better answer for you, but I downloaded Tweetdeck. It allows you to make groups. I have an Editors and Agents group, a writer-friends groups, and real life friends group. You can also see your Facebook status updates if you want.  But Tweetdeck doesn't allow you to direct your tweets to just one group; your tweets go to all your groups.

Don't know if that helps any.

Sandy

Sandy Williams
Writer of Speculative Romance

Blog: www.sandy-williams.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/brimfire
paulwest

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »

Hmm. I think that helps. Thank you both.

I don't want my writers and agent/publishers to see all my family and friends comments and vice-versa.

I guess I need to keep trying. I think it can be done, somehow.

Jessica V.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »

Some people have created a secondary Facebook page to keep their writer friends/fans/commenters separate from their family and friends. I guess you could do the same thing with Twitter?

"Spectacular! The Hollow keeps you reading from beginning to end without coming up for air." --L.J. Smith, bestselling author of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and NIGHT WORLD

NYT bestselling author of THE HOLLOW trilogy -
www.JessicaVerday.com
paulwest

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:37:38 PM »

I think you're right, I just can't figure out how to do that. That's my problem.

Jessica V.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »

Just sign up under a new username. For your writing page it could be something like "Author So and So" or you could tell all your family members that for your personal page you're signing up for a new one under an old nickname - just don't forget to contact them and let them know what that nickname is.

"Spectacular! The Hollow keeps you reading from beginning to end without coming up for air." --L.J. Smith, bestselling author of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and NIGHT WORLD

NYT bestselling author of THE HOLLOW trilogy -
www.JessicaVerday.com
bryandub

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »

Just work on them Paul, read the fine print. Linkedin is a networking site, yes, but most are working professionals, with a few fine artist and writer groups. Just do a people search but you can't just add someone, they have to accept you, so it takes time.
Use any resource to market yourself. I do that for my artwork as well. Also, start a blog, keep everyone informed of everything! Here is mine(free marketing just created....lol.): http://bryandubreuiel.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: