Author Topic: Whine and moan thread  (Read 123794 times)

Offline JeanneT

Whine and moan thread
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »
I'll start:

I've had four partials out for from 4 to 7 weeks and not a whisper--not even a rejection!

I hate the waiting. I really, really hate the waiting.

Your turn.
Wings of Evil YA Fantasy Novel--Only 99 Cents
Freedom's Sword Scottish Historical Novel - $2.99
Writing and More

Offline queryrighter4m

Re: Whine and moan thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:07:52 AM »
Thanks, Jeanne. I came to this section to start my own thread on the same topic. Now I can just use yours. What I was going to say is that, one, I've been sending out queries for 2 days while also waiting for the person in charge of scheduling colonoscopies to call back and, two, I can't tell you how similar these two experiences are, emotionally.

Yes, I have the completed ms. and, yes, I have a colon I have pledged to prepare for inspection in a manner analogous to the way I have prepared my ms. for inspection (a time-consuming and grueling process, as you may know). In both cases it seems in an ideal universe that's all I should be required to do.

But, no.

In both instances, though I will do everything in my power to abet a procedure that I do not look forward to undergoing, the procedure is still not scheduled and--as it seems--may never be. The colonoscopy scheduler, whose name is Tiffany, has a recording on her line. It says that on reaching her voice mail, the caller is not to phone again for 48 hours, due to the high volume of calls she receives from those wishing to schedule procedures. Similarly, of the 13 agents I've queried (all of whom have names something like "Tiffany"), 2 have replied with automatic responses saying that due to the high volume of queries they receive, if I don't hear from them in a reasonable length of time, I should, in effect, give up on them. (Colonoscopy scheduler Tiffany didn't say this in her recorded message, exactly, but I could tell she really, really wanted to.)

You, Jeanne, have not only been scheduled for procedures, but are--so far as you know--currently undergoing procedures, in regard to your partials, so you are a league above me. If by some glimmer of an outside chance I ever get scheduled for a partial or full (I'm talking about my ms.), I intend to ask for an anesthetic that will put me out, totally. Did you try that? Ask to be woken up when it's done, and not a minute before.

More advice: If they offer to show you the color photos they took during the procedure, say, "No."

More advice: Ask if the agent gives free footies.

I sent an equery (only) yesterday to an agent, got an "out of office" reply saying she was out of town, and 46 minutes after I'd sent the equery got a reply saying she didn't want to see any pages. (I picture her walking into her office with her flight bag and an unopened package of SWA peanuts, finding she'd gotten 45 kazillion queries while she was attending the wedding of her best friend and the love of her life, and hitting the rejection macro button 45 kazillion really fast times. Disappointing, since from her description of what she was looking for, it seemed to me she'd be more likely to like what I wrote than anyone else I'm sending to.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:11:53 AM by queryrighter4m »

Offline cipherqueen

• "There's always more you can do"
    • Cipherqueen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:07:14 PM »
The waiting and the silence. :'(

20 queries with no reponse whatsoever.

... :crazy:

...  :v: Guess I'll work on my sequel or go back to revising...or maybe create some more ciphers...

Offline alisonbeightol

• It was a dark and stormy night
    • adventures of the cautionary tale
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
waiting waiting waiting. 3 partials and a full. :zen1:

and karma for all since we are waiting so well
Life in Moonlight and Blood of New Beginnings available now on Kindle and Audible.
Death Hunter- November 2018
One Question Before I Go-December 2018

Offline Sara

• Give me pen and paper--I'll be good.
    • Give Me Pen & Paper, I'll Be Good
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:08:11 PM »
Oh I know, I actually had 2 rejected partials with FORMS! The one agent was known for personal feedback so I don't get it!

Anyways, now I got three partials out, and am hoping they turn to fulls! I am super excited this second time around has been so much better for me.

Although I must say two of the agents actually wrote me to let me know they received them when I didn't include "If you could give a quick reply to let me know you've received the material it would be greatly appreciated."

I hope we all get some good news soon.
Criticism is like the air writers breathe, it is going to happen so suck it up and brace yourself--it's going to get rough!" -Sara Tribble

Twitter: http://twitter.com/saratribble
Blog: http://www.saratribble.blogspot.com

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
Forms on partials just suck.

It's always better suffering together I think, but queryrighter4m definitely has the best whine so far.

Anyone else want to join the pity party?  :up:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:56:59 PM by JeanneT »
Writing and More

Offline isinglass

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 02:47:08 AM »
Two. Entire. Novels.

I've written two completed novels, and I just had to give up on the second one because I've exhausted all possibilities and no one wanted it.

Now I either write a third whole novel and then start over from square one, or I go into another line of work, like forensic photography, llama sitting, well digging, or anything that's more lucrative and in demand than being a novelist, because obviously I suck at writing novels.

:(

I'm going to go eat more chocolate.

Offline alisonbeightol

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »
could you rework it? I did that with mine and it is almost like a new novel. DON'T GIVE UP!!!  :write:
Life in Moonlight and Blood of New Beginnings available now on Kindle and Audible.

Offline Aiala

• Coming soon...
    • Random Ruminations
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
I've written two completed novels, and I just had to give up on the second one because I've exhausted all possibilities and no one wanted it.

Says who? A bunch of myopic agents?? You're going to let that stop you?

There's a reason self-publishing is ascendant, y'know. Alison is right: Do NOT give up!   :)

~A~
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" ~ Dante Alighieri, Inferno
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7286455-she-s-my-dad
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewpoetry_all.

Offline violet

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »
obviously I suck at writing novels.

I wouldn't make that leap...maybe your query needs to be honed...oh, yeah, I said that before.  :wink:

If you kept getting requests, and no upgrades from partials to fulls, you may want to take a look at your writing. But it sounds like you're not getting requests=ineffective query, not being a bad writer.

Whoops!  :hijack:

I'm trying to keep my groaning to a minimum these days...but waiting is really the worst.

:)

Offline bodwen

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
Now I either write a third whole novel and then start over from square one, or I go into another line of work, like forensic photography, llama sitting, well digging, or anything that's more lucrative and in demand than being a novelist, because obviously I suck at writing novels.

If you're writing novels to make a living, you're in the wrong business.  Even writers like Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Piers Anthony, Dan Brown, etc, needed jobs and/or wives to support them for months or years.  Even after they hit the best seller list. 

Sure there are crazy stories about people making 7 figure advances right out the gate, but sadly, you're better off buying lottery tickets.

Offline JeanneT

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »
This is a whining allowed area of the forum. 

And to take up the whining again, STILL not a single response on FOUR partials.  :rant:
Writing and More

Offline alisonbeightol

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
I want to whine again. 2 partials and a full and not a peep.  :wine: I'd like some cheese with my whine too

Offline laurabdiamond

• Be the change you wish to see in the world--Gandhi
    • Author Laura Diamond--Lucid Dreamer
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »
Do panic attacks count as whining? I sent my most recent--and most polished--query to an agent who wants the first 50 pages included...My stomach has flipped so often over the past couple of days, I'm not sure which direction it's facing.  :ho:

I've sent over 50 queries out prior to coming to QT and, obviously, I didn't get anywhere!  :cbash:

Frustrating, but I learned a profound lesson. No one is an island.  :prof:

It's nice to have such helpful people around--my query is MUCH better because of it!  ;D

AND it's also just as helpful having people around to whine and moan with, Amen?  :naughty:

Laura *bites fingernails a little more and smiles sheepishly, then giggles nervously, thinking "does he like the query?"*  :sick1:  :faint:
ZODIAC COLLECTOR by Spencer Hill Press coming Sept 2014
Other works: LORE (Sunset Moon), NEW PRIDE, SHIFTING PRIDE, ENDURE, EVOKE
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DiamondLB

Offline alisonbeightol

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 05:27:39 PM »
they most certainly do.  I think we all have those as well. Those usually occur before my whine sessions