Author Topic: Michele Glance Rooney?  (Read 19943 times)

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
Re: Michele Glance Rooney?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:40 PM »
y'know, i know what you mean about being 'mean', but quite honestly, this woman is not representing herself properly and you know it, so... i'm dying to know about the pirate thing, too.  truly, i think you can find a way to get a response without being TOO juvenile...just post it in the query and we'll all have a go at it!

pirates, elkie, pirates.  how in the world can you let that go by?
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 10:49:20 PM »
you want me to post the response I got from her, or what I come up with?  Although you know, the one I came up with a page or two back might be smart a** to us, but seriously someone might actually think that - I've read some real whoppers on agent blogs   ;D
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Miss Java

• Kristal Shaff - Fantasy Author
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 10:52:48 PM »
Me be likin the Smilies..

Arrrrgh!

:pirate4:

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 05:56:51 AM »
you want me to post the response I got from her, or what I come up with?  Although you know, the one I came up with a page or two back might be smart a** to us, but seriously someone might actually think that - I've read some real whoppers on agent blogs   ;D

both.  you can do it, and we can help.....

Pirates!

Pirates!

Pirates!!
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »
It's not mean.  Think of it this way, we are taking up her time which could keep her just busy enough so that she can't rip off some innocent writer.

We would be like pirate hunters.  And, it'll be really funny.

:pirate1:

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
Okay, here are the two emails I got from her:

Sub line - Hi Michelle -- I am interested in becoming your literary agent

Hi Michelle,
   How's your writing going? I just wanted to send you an e-mail and let you know you that I'm very interested in reading your writing projects with an eye toward becoming your literary agent. If your writing project is still a work in progress, please feel free to send me a synopsis and sample chapters. My submission address is:

Michele Glance Rooney, Literary Agent
P.O. Box 2533
Birmingham, Michigan 48012-2533

You can check out my website at http://superliteraryagent.tripod.com
  I'm looking forward to reading your work. I wish you great success with your writing career and with all of your endeavors.
  Have a stupendous day!

Warm Regards,

Michele Glance Rooney

Second one - same subject line

Hi Michelle,
  I'm excited to hear that you're doing the last minute polishing on your sample chapters. I guess my timing was good. I saw your Writing Profile on Writer's Net and that's where I saw your e-mail address.
  I will be delighted to read your synopsis and sample chapters as soon as they are ready. My submission address again is:

Michele Glance Rooney, Literary Agent
Submissions Department
P.O. Box 2533
Birmingham, Michigan 48012

I'm looking forward to reading your work.
  Have a lovely day.

Warm Regards,

Michele Glance Rooney
Literary Agent

Have at it  :pirate1:
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 10:46:03 AM »
K, I tried to find my original pirate response to her but got lost  ;D  Is there an industrious someone out there that knows where it is?   ;D

Offline audal

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
Hey Elkie - is this the post you're looking for?

Dear Ms. Rooney,

I was very excited to get your email!  Wow, an actual agent wants me?  I'm just speechless!!  I did a little checking around on this site I've been on lately, QueryTracker.net, have you heard of it?  They have you listed with a skull and crossbones but I couldn't figure out what that means.  Do you specialize in pirate stories?  Mine is a Victorian romance, but I could write a pirate story for my next book.  Anyhow, I'd love to send you my manuscript.  I charge a $60 reading fee and must be reimbursed for all shipping expenses.  If this is acceptable I will send you my manuscript right away.

Thanks so much!!

Here's where you posted it: http://querytracker.net/forum/index.php?topic=200.msg8717#msg8717

Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
Yes!  Thanks  ;D

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
Okay, how's this? 

Dear Ms. Rooney,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I’ve done a little checking around and found you on QueryTracker.net, have you heard of it?  They have you listed with a skull and crossbones but I couldn't figure out what that means.  Do you specialize in pirate stories?  Mine is a Victorian romance, but I could write a pirate story for my next book.  I have a couple really good ideas in that area.  I was wondering if I could see a list of your clients.  I’d like to get a better idea of who you represent so I can see if my work truly fits in with what you are looking for.  I am hoping to have my manuscript done in the next few weeks.  Just a few more revisions to make.  It seems the editing is never done :-).

Thanks again for your interest,

Michelle

Offline audal

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 11:37:49 AM »
I love the smiley emoticon at the end - excellent touch!

I also love the pirate story question... But do we really think she won't detect that something is fishy when she sees the question.  And moreover, is there any chance that your bringing up QT might make her obsessively look over here and find this thread?

I'm just playing devil's advocate because I'd love to mess with her & keep the dialogue alive as long as possible.  Then again, I also don't want you to stumble into some sort of fine-print situation where she suddenly slaps you with a bill for even reviewing faux-material.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
Good call, Aud! :pirate4:
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
see, this is why I don't really want to mess with her, but there is so much peer pressure!!! Patrick and Joan for shame!! ;D  Plus, she may be a bogus agent, but she is still an agent (I suppose) and I really don't want to purposely burn bridges with anybody even remotely connected to this industry, ya know  :)  Maybe if I cut the pirate and QT part and just ask for the client list and see what she says.  Or just leave it and if she writes back tell her I'm no longer interested   :)  Ah, decisions  :)

Offline audal

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 01:27:43 PM »
Yeah, I like the idea of the cuts you suggested (though I'm sure I'll get flamed by the pirate-chanters).  But I don't think you need worry about burning bridges with this "agent."  Do ask her what books & clients she's championed -- I'm sure you'll find almost nothing of any repute.

One thing you could do is play gunshy.  Make her think she's got you on the hook, then tell her you're not sure, you're worried, ad infinitum.  Mostly I'm curious as to what lengths she'll go through to try to lure you into the scam den.  I do think you can mess with her without overtly belittling her -- and ultimately shed light on her practice.

Ultimately, though, it's easy for any of us to sit back and tell you what we all wanna see.  If you're uncomfortable with playing mischief-maker, just walk away and no one will give you even joking grief about the missed opportuntiy for folly.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 02:57:42 PM »
I assure you this woman is in no way connected to the publishing world, except for her own false claims. 

But I did think of one thing that makes me change my recommendation.  She has your email address, and if she realizes that you are messing with her, then she can take that address and sign you up with every spammer on the planet.  So maybe it's best to laugh about what could have been, but leave it at that.  Unless it's a disposable address, then yes, DO IT!

:pirate1: