Author Topic: Michele Glance Rooney?  (Read 22273 times)

Offline elknutswife

• Website
Re: Michele Glance Rooney?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2007, 03:10:02 PM »
unfortunately it is my main address, the one everyone, including my queried agents, has.  Oh well, if she ever writes me back I might have a go at her, mention the bad things I've seen, etc and see what she says.  But I think I will leave it for now.  Could have been fun though  >:D
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline audal

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2007, 03:17:37 PM »
Send her the first five pages of Wuthering Heights (after changing the names) and see how she responds...
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2007, 03:24:34 PM »
I gave you some pirate karma, just for the thought of sticking it to this woman.  :pirate2:

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 03:43:47 PM »
 :clap: Yeah, karma!  I mean  :pirate4:  Arggh karma    ;D

Actually, Emsky sent me the letter she sent to some scammers that contacted her once, and it was very polite, simply asking for some more information to address her concerns.  I might do something like that.  I mean the woman has no info on her website at all, I can simply ask for more info on how it works with her and say that I've read a few things and wonder if she could explain.  I'll probably wait and see if she writes me again, but if she does I'll very politely ask her what is up  :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:46:03 PM by elknutswife »
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »
Oh my!  I just checked out her website.  She has ads on it.  Any agent who has to supplement their income by selling ad space must be...  Well, we already knew she wasn't a real agent.

The real reason I posted was because I wanted to use the pirate smileys again.  So here goes.

:pirate1: :pirate4: :pirate2: :pirate3:

That first one reminds me of Johnny Depp.

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 09:51:10 PM »
Omg...I just realized the last one does a little chuckle!
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
Looks like dear Miss Rooney is up to more tricks.  According to Writers Beware (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/11/victoria-strauss-literary-agent-news.html), she is running an anonymous blog in an attempt to steer writers her way http://literaryagentnews.blogspot.com

Poor Miss Rooney, can't get a break.

Offline audal

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »
HA!  Nice catch, Patrick.

My favorite part is when her agency is listed thusly: Michele Glance Rooney Literary Agenyc in one of her completely baseless top-10 lists.  What's also a bit bizarre is how there are so many agents on these top-10 lists that I've just never heard of - and I'd like to think I've done some substantial homework on which agents are kings & queens of literary kingdoms.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Abigail

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2007, 10:55:46 AM »
Thanks Patrick!  It's nice to know you are watching out for us.

Pirate karma???  I've never seen pirate karma before...I've never recevied pirate karma...sad and depressed I must now crawl back into the pirate cove............
Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
Ha I posted a comment on her blog.  Now she's probly gonna stalk me.  Eh.  We'll see how long it stays up. 
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline audal

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »
Ha I posted a comment on her blog.  Now she's probly gonna stalk me.  Eh.  We'll see how long it stays up. 

GG, do you show no compassion here on this day where we're to be thankful??

:up: Atta' gurl!

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »
compassion? *hurries off to dictionary.com to look it up  ;D
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things

Offline DaveKuzminski

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »

I believe you've come up with a very good idea. Encourage everyone to post on that blog about Michele so that it gets picked up heavily by the search engines in order to better expose her. Just remember to keep it civil and accurate.

Offline audal

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2007, 01:28:54 PM »
Not that AgentQuery is the Bible when it comes to validating agents & agencies, but for sure it was my go-to site when I first started researching agents.  I noticed quite a correlation between legitimate representation and being listed on AQ.  In fact, when I whittled a list from some 500+ names down to maybe 150, all 150 were on AQ.

So is it possibly troubling that eleven of the agents listed in this blog's various top-10 lists aren't listed on AQ at all? 

I mean it seems truly preposterous to think that a Top-10 agent in a given genre isn't even listed, right?

So what's the motivation behind this?

Offline DaveKuzminski

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »
The motivation is quite simple. In fact, I can offer several reasons.

By posing as an alternate resource, the operator of that particular blog can create a difference in opinion for writers to puzzle over. Then writers won't know which to believe until after they've been scammed, thus making it easier for the scam to succeed.

For those writers who dislike bashers, the fact that the blog in question only offers positive remarks makes it appeal to them. There are many individuals who want to believe only the best about others. Unfortunately, that makes them easy to manipulate by scams because they still want a top agent even though many claim they don't discriminate because that would be bashing. Even after they become victims, they'll be difficult to convince that they've been scammed because some will be too embarrassed, some too hurt, and some unwilling to become further involved because that would be admitting the "bashers" were right or even worse, becoming what they view as a "basher."

Scammers delight in posing as what they aren't. The more prestige the position carries, the greater their desire to have that position. Furthermore, if they can obtain money while doing it then they don't have to maintain an ordinary job which would involve working for wages and actually producing something. In this case, the scammer probably gets to pose in two positions. One is that of an agent and the other is that of a trusted opinion shaper.

Scammers also want thrills. Posing as something they aren't provides a thrill of getting away with something. Getting money for posing is a means of measuring how much they're getting away with as well as providing an income.

I honestly believe that some scammers also want to hit back at those who are successful within the established system. They view themselves as qualified when they aren't. Posing gives them the prestige and the position to hit back at those who hold the positions of trust that the scammers can't earn.

Then there's pure greed and envy. This comes about when an individual feels the rewards for the position simply aren't enough because the individual believes the effort sunk into attaining that position should provide a greater payoff. This happens to some individuals who've managed to attain high degrees through the system only to discover that attainment of a degree doesn't confer instant recognition nor gratification upon entering the work system nor greater rewards than earned by those without the degree.