QueryTracker Community
October 23, 2017, 02:59:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying it forward, info for everone here  (Read 18958 times)
coll

« on: October 14, 2007, 01:42:04 PM »

I got back yesterday from my mentoring conference. Of course, I was so stressed out that I had asthma issues and a fever. But I networked my butt off. Made a great connection with an agent and had three editors ask for fulls.

My mentor was Joyce McDonald(author of award winning, Swallowing Stones). She gave me a few suggestions but mostly just told me she liked my work. She read my queries and synopsis' and her only comment was that you should always leave out the word count (which goes against everything I've ever read. When I asked a few editors about that---they agreed. Don't put the word count in the query but don't query before you have finished, honed, and polished your manuscript.

The editors also talked about taking more first time authors on spec, asking for revisions and seeing if you have the skills. It could be a long process with no guarantee of a sale but it should improve your manuscript. After you are published, this scenario rarely happens.

Below is a list of editors and agents and what they'd like to see:

Jenne Abramowitz-Scholastic-pb, easy readers, chapter books, mg that is appropriate for the school market. She looks for pbs that tie into school curriculum without being based on it. school themes, holiday titles, and projects that are literally seasonal. She's drawn to a wacky sense of humor. Nothing too dark.Chapter books series with unique premises and memorable characters, mystery for all ages, and lighthearted mg fiction with extreme humor (school appropriate).

Wesley Adams-Farrar, Straus and Giroux (pet peeve-don't spell the name wrong) Full range-from very young pb to very old ya.  He would like to see smart, sass-filled manuscripts that make him  think they will make kids laugh.

Lindsey Alexander-Laura Geringer Books. pb, mg, ya. Likes more literary, character driven fiction. Lindsey enjoys working on Ya particularly. A well drawn protag with an unforgettable voice is extremely important. Off the wall, eccentric humor and fresh format appeal to her. Would like to see more ya with a global scope, timely and give readers insight into the conflicts, issues and cultural debates seen on the evening news.

Jennifer Arena-Random House. Specializes in early chapter books. Most interested in well written original early chapter book fiction around 7500-11000 words at a 1st-3rd grade reading level. Also looking for fun, unusual easy-to-reads with strong hooks.

Laura Arnold-Harper Collins.  Fiction for all ages. Very early pb to ya. Laura would love to find the right voic driven Gothic novel, spy story, or dance story.

Stacey Barney-Putnam. Strong voice, great language---loves both lush and spare writing--good fast paced story and strong characters. Not really into fantasy or science fiction unless it's based in reality.

Beth Barton-Harcourt. pb(fiction and curriculum based nf), mg, and ya. Loves novelty books. Likes character driven fiction, outsiders, insiders, first crushes, sibling rivalry, adventure, everyday family drama, historical fiction, magic, and books with unexpected twists. If it makes her laugh-bonus points. Pb-sweet, funny, silly.

Eleni Beja-Scholastic. Fiction and nonfiction. PB thru YA. Interests are politics, sports, historical fiction, stories that take place in other countries, ya with dry wit and unusual nf.

Courtney Bongiolatti- Simon and Schuster. YA, especially chick lit or sports themed.

Stacey Cantor- Walker Books. PB, mg, and ya. Looking for gritty, literary teen fiction. Fun read aloud pb. Not fantasy.

Lisa Cheng- Margaret McElderry Books. PB, mg, and ya with honest persoectives and resonating voices.

Nancy Conescu- Little Brown. Intriqued by dark humor, satire, the supernatural and projects that test the creative boundaries of their genre. Looking for literary and commercial mg fiction, edgy ya and inventive and nontraditional pb.

Nadia Cornier-agent-Firebrand. Ya of all genres. Would like to see a great coming of age story that has lots of teen drama. Not interested in fiction for younger children.

Anastasia Cortez-HarperCollins. YA novels. Prefers urban fantasy (vampires and werewolf mostly-no elves.), post apocalyptic sci fi, chick lit, humor, and action/adventure. Would love a graphic novel sumission.

Jill Dembowski-Little Brown. Interested in YA and mg fiction with fresh, compelling narratives, historical fiction and suspense, and is looking for humorous and quirky pb.

Brooke Dworkin- Sterling. Pb, mg nonfiction, puzzle and activity books for children of all ages, retelling of classic stories. Except pb-no original fiction.

Alyssa Eisner Henkin- agent, Trident.  Actively seeking school based mg fiction, reality based fantasy, high concept teen and tween fiction and pb author/illustrators.

Nick Eliopulos-Random House. Mg and ya. Looking for boy interest novels, high concept sci fi and fantasy.

T.S. Ferguson-Little Brown. Ya and mg. Loves sci fi and boy-fiction. No nf projects, sports related
 fiction or historical fiction.

Gretchen Hirsch- Harcourt. ya, mg. Likes novels with irony and irreverence. Would like a funny pb or innovative nf.

Colin Hosten- Hyperion. mg. Big fan of fantasy. Also enjoys character driven stories featuring minority or outsider characters.

Leslie Kaufmann-agent-Kneerim& Williams. Ya and tween fiction. Looking for quirky storylines,wildly unique narrative voice--particularly told from a boys point of view.

Emily Sylvan Kim-agent-Prospect Agency. Mg and Ya fiction. Books geared towards boys. Not into sci fi or fantasy.

Julie Lansky-editor-Katherine Tegen Books (HarperCollins). Pb, mg, and ya.Likes all genres, draw to quirky, funny pb, younger mg with light humor or fantasy and literary ya which handle realistic or topical teen issues. Currently looking for graphic novels and mg mysteries.

Emily Lawrence-editor, HarperCollins. Pb, chapter books, mg, ya. Literary, nf, fantasy, and manga. Looking for funny books of all kinds (pb and mg especially). Smart action oriented ya/mg.

Kendra Levin- editor, Viking. Likes unique books that combine a dark side with a good sense of humor. Also books that take place in other countries.

Cate Martin-agent, McIntosh&Otis. MG and ya. Sci fi and fantasy with one foot in reality. Ya books that appeal to boys.. Dream subs are savvy, smart and funny female protags, coming of age with strong protag, fun adventure books, mysteries, immigration stories, ballerina books and hip YA.. Not a fan of high concept fantasy,pb or novels that are too self consciously funny.

Sean Mc Carthy- gent, Sheldon Fogelma. all ages. Like edgy narratives with flawed, multi faceted characters. Pb with off beat humor and clever endings. Graphic novels. No high fantasy or query letters that pose questions.

Caroline Meckler-editor, Wendy Lamb. MG and YA. No PB.  Seek fiction that features strong narrators with fresh, gripping stories.

Sangeeta Mehta-editor, Simon Pulse. Would love to find an African-Amercian teen romantic comedy. Edgy commercial ya and would like to build her nf list.

Steven Meltzer-editor, Dutton. Great pb books, fiction or narrative nonfiction. Great ya.

Nancy Mercado-editor, Dial. Seeks fuuny, hopeful contemporay mg and ya. Can be told in verse or prose. No cranky protags.

Margaret Miller-editor, HarperCollins. Fiction-babies through teens. Looking for funny/quirky mg and ya, non-melodramatic "issue' books. Smart comedies and pb with simple, clever concepts.

Emily Mitchell-editor Charlesbridge. Birth through 14 years old. Mostly Pb and early reader. Likes dry humor, istory, biography and the arts.

Erin Molta-editor, Scholastic. Pb,early readers, chapter books, novels. Would love to see school curriculum based stories in all those catagories. also, bullies, holidays, math, science, loose teeth.

Rotem Moscovich-editor, scholastic.Books ages 0-6. Looks for innovation.wants to be surprised.

Alisha Niehaus-editor, Dial. Loves quirky characters. looks for thought provoking, challenging, that explore larger themes-social/cultural/historical-while still managing light heartedness or even hilarity.. Would love a story about the geeky glories of tubas and french horns or the razzle dazzle of the dance floor.

Janine o'Malley-editor, Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Looking for smart mg and ya. Books that straddle both the literary and commercial worlds. wants a story to make her laugh or cry. Srong voices.

Rachel Orr-agent, Prospect. Looking for pb, chapter, beginning reader, mg, and ya. Loves 1st person, coming of age, humorous, sports, and multicultural stories. Nothing too edgy.

Sarah Payne-editor, Clarion. PB to YA. Also NF. Partial to edgy contemporary Ya and mg. Books that deal honestly with kid's emotions. Girls playing sports, music, performing arts and nature.

Abby Ranger-editor, Scholastic. Pb, mg, and Ya. Looks for fresh, wise, inspiring, laugh out loud voices. MG with quirky, winsome characters and elements of mystery and adventure.

Julie Romeis-editor, Bloomsbury. PB to YA. Likes short, funny pb. kid-friendly mg, and literary and fantasy novels for teens.

Emily Schltz-editor, Hyperion. PB, MG, and ya. Loves humor.Avoids gritty, serious or ghostly stories.

Liz Schonhorst-editor, Bloomsbury. MG and ya. Mostly fantasy and Sci fi.

Sarah Sevier- editor HarperCollins. Mg and teen fiction. Looking for contemporary fiction. Quirky and offbeat stories hold a particular appeal as well as those with boy appeal.

Erica Sussman-editor, harperCollins. MG and teen. Likes strong protags, heartfelt narratives, humorous and realistic dialogue.

Christian Trimmer- editor, Hyperion. Ya and graphic novels. Wants books that deal with war or religion in a creative way. Reveal the humanity of teenage boys. Takes place not in LA or NY. Addresses teen romance in a unique way. Books that scare the bejeebies out of him.

Tamra Tuller-editor, Philomel Books. PB and ya,/older mg lierary novels. Smart books with heart and substance and a touch of humor. No fantasy, sci fi, youngermg, preachy or slapstick books.

Liz Waniewski,editor,Dial. Looking for warm, hmorous character driven pb with a definite narative arc and satisfying resolution. For mg or ya-historical, contemorary or fantasy---fresh, authentic voices.

Meredith Mundy Wasinger- editor Sterling. PB and nf for all ages, activity and craft books.No nf geared purely for schools.

Anna Webman-agent, Curtis Brown. Mg and Ya. Looking for character driven ya with sharp, tight writing and mg with funny/quirky characters. Also interested in stories that remind her of the classics she loves, like the All of a Kind Family series.

Carolyn Yoder-editor, Calkins Creek. (Boyds Mills history imprint). Historical fiction and nf. pb, chapter, and novels. Also senior editor of Highlights magazine history section.

Wow, now that's a long post.

Coll Smiley

Get your book trailer at http://booktrailers.alekkosinski.com
Abigail

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:20:38 PM »

I think you win the prize for the longest post ever!  At least of what I have seen.

Sounds like you had a really great day at the conference despite the asthma.  Congrats on the fulls etc.! Thumbs Up clap

The list of publishers and agents is fantastic...thanks for the effort.  I'd give you some karma, but I don't know how... Cry

Abi Grin

Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!
joanjunkmail

zombies ate my dingo

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 02:25:47 PM »

Below is a list of editors and agents and what they'd like to see:

wow - how nice of you!

be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)
gypsygurl
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »

Abigail. Look under the poster's name. There's an underlined applaud. Click.  The number goes up one.  Instant karma....just like the Beetles said!

Check out the first chapters of Vial Things on Instafreebie! https://www.instafreebie.com/free/zyCB8

Repped by Rosemary Stimola
gypsygurl
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »

Coll, is it possible that they just don't want the word count for children's books? Could that be the discrepancy?

I'm just wondering because my novel is short and the word count freaks me out. Maybe this is my golden ticket?? embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:46:34 PM by gypsygurl » Logged

Check out the first chapters of Vial Things on Instafreebie! https://www.instafreebie.com/free/zyCB8

Emeraldsky

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »

Wow Coll!
What a golden list!!! Thank you so much for passing along the information and congratulations!
Cole Gibsen

April 28th, 2015

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »

Thanks for the valuable info coll!

May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com
coll

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 04:14:32 PM »

Gypsy,

My query was for my YA novel. Not sure about the adult market.

Coll

gypsygurl
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 04:35:46 PM »

Good to know! Thanks and great post! Thumbs Up

Abigail

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »

Hey! This karma thing works....Thanks GG!  You get karma for your help too!

Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!
John Parrott Sr

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »

Wow! That is fabulous news about the fulls, I wish all the success in the world. especially after all the work you did on that post.
Abigail is right, you deserve some karma for that one. ;)
justwrite

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:17:31 AM »

Coll..thank you for that incredible list! Great info. And kudos on all your great news. How wonderful! My pal Linda B was there at the one on one. Wonder if you ran into her. She was at the Poconos retreat last April.

JW

DaveKuzminski

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 02:31:44 PM »

Whatever resource you rely upon, always check with a second. Even if you trust a site, always verify its information with another site. This creates a system of checks and balances that will guide and protect you better.
coll

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »

This info was given to each mentee at the program to help us pitch to those specific people (who were all in attendence (it should be pretty accurate).

Coll

M.Hall

~Crooked, but parallel to the universe~

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 07:27:10 AM »

Thank you soo much ! this is amazingly helpful! (2 years later)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: