QueryTracker Community
December 16, 2018, 08:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Note: This forum uses different usernames and passwords than those of the main QueryTracker site. 
Please register if you want to post messages.

This forum is also accessible by the public (including search engines).
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Successful Urban Fantasy Queries  (Read 2911 times)
Legionsynch

This is Matthew Bomer. He's my happy thought.

« on: October 23, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »

So there's a Livejournal community for writers of urban fantasy.  Most of them are up and comers (though you've also got the Melissa Marrs, Holly Blacks, etc).  Anyway, starting tomorrow, many of those authors, who have managed to successfully get an agent and all that, are going to start posting their successful query letters so the rest of us can take a gander.

Even if it's not your genre, I figure it's a good chance for people to take a look at what worked for some people. Smiley

Here's the link to the post:

http://community.livejournal.com/fangs_fur_fey/198446.html

And the main community is at:

http://community.livejournal.com/fangs_fur_fey/

Witch Eyes:  Flux, Fall 2011
Patrick
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »

Thanks Lege, that should be very interesting.
Abigail

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 08:23:13 PM »

Oohh...VERY exciting!  for the tip Lege.

Abi

Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!
justwrite

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:43 PM »

Thanks, Lege. I'm not worried about my query. It's the writing I'm hoping will sell my ms. My query's working.

Abigail

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:43:05 PM »

maybe you should post yours JW!

Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!
Legionsynch

This is Matthew Bomer. He's my happy thought.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »

I just posted it to give people some ideas of what else has worked out there, specifically by some of the bigger names in the genre.  People that were where we are, and a look back at how they got there.

That's all.  It has no bearing on any of us, or any of our queries, except what we choose to take out of it.  Just another resource to be assimilated and used to help better ourselves if we choose to do so.   

Witch Eyes:  Flux, Fall 2011
Iris

Partials -- 4, Full -- 1

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 04:33:57 AM »

I'm with JustWrite. I really think my query letter's pretty good. I'm just worried that the agents are going to look on my novel itself as a pile of steaming...compost.

I tried selling this one, novel #2, a couple years ago. I got several requests for the full manuscript and some praise-containing rejections for my writing, but at the end of the day they were, alas, rejections. Now, after something of a hiatus where I actually worked a real job and wrote a couple other novels, I'm trying again on novel #2. I still like the novel -- when I'm not curled up into a nail-biting fetal ball (like right now), that is.

And I've been out of work for almost two and a half months and I'm running out of money. I haven't gotten a single interview, and that's not helping the fetal ball-ness.

Sorry. Rambling.
joanjunkmail

zombies ate my dingo

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:54:20 AM »

hang in there, karatebum.  i was 8months out of work when i found QT and these kind folks helped my spirits tremendously.

i ended up being unemployed for 10months and 5 days, and it was sheer hell - i feel your pain.  truly, the wit,  compassion and sense of solidarity around here made it semi-bearable.

good luck.

be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)
Iris

Partials -- 4, Full -- 1

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:44:12 AM »

I hope it's not going to be 10 months. I only have enough savings and unemployment to pay my mortgage and bills for about another 2 months, so I have to find an income before then. I don't want to even think about losing my house. I have nowhere else to go.
joanjunkmail

zombies ate my dingo

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:41:26 AM »

oh - karatebum!  i was there.  trust me when i say, panic does NOT help.  one thing that worked for me was to work as a temp - sadly i waited until i was at the end of my savings to do it, which put me in a bad situation.  you might want to consider it now, while you still have some padding.  being around other people and having an income of some sort is very helpful for relieving panic.

others might have other advice.

be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: