Author Topic: partials, fulls, exclusives, and a moral quandary (well, sort of!)  (Read 2550 times)

Offline type3secretion

I have an MS out to an agency for an exclusive 30 day period. A second agent has written requesting partials. I wrote in email to the first agent that I had sent partials out, so the exclusive would only be on the full MS (which I think is normal, but I wanted to be clear). I sent 30 pages to the second agent before agreeing to the exclusive. The agent wants 50 more.

Soooooo, I feel in a grey zone. If I send, technically it's still a partial (80 pages of 500). But am I violating the spirit of my exclusive in doing this?

I'm trying to be honest with myself, but I am leaning to thinking it doesn't (30 or 80 pages is still partial). However, I am new to this, and don't want to violate the norms of the business.

Any advice appreciated!

type3

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
Re: partials, fulls, exclusives, and a moral quandary (well, sort of!)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »
Just go ahead and send. Your relationship with this agent predates your exclusive agreement. You don't have to say anything unless you get offers of representation.

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
Go ahead and send, to move the process along.  Just be prepared to say "yes" to the first agent if he/she pops the question.  If you weren't prepared to say yes to that agent, you wouldn't have agreed to an exclusive.  No?

TG
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline type3secretion

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:54 AM »
I would be very happy to say yes to the first agent!  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll send.