Author Topic: The Pitch  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Miss Java

• Kristal Shaff - Fantasy Author
The Pitch
« on: June 26, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »
I have been looking through the book called "Give 'En What They Want", and it mentions giving a pitch to agents.  It is supposed to be a one sentence summary of what your book is about.

They also say you can start your query with this pitch, but I honestly can't imagine summarizing my book with one sentence.

Can you all do it?

I would love to hear your pitch.

Lotheus

Re: The Pitch
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »
I have heard of people pitching movies to producers that way, and they usually say something like, "It's Indiana Jones meets Star Wars."  That's it in one sentence.  I sure hate to compare my book like that, but that is what helps them envision it better.  It goes back to trying to be original, and then comparing your story to another one.  There is nothing new under the sun...

Lilly_Grant

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »
"A boy is torn between loyalty to his family and loyalty to his country."

Offline Cole Gibsen

• April 28th, 2015
    • Cole Gibsen
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:55 PM »
Ummmm, let's see....

As a young woman tries to understand visions of a samurai past, an unknown enemy threatens to destroy all that she holds dear.

HA! Now THAT really DOES sound cliche'!!! ;D
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face,and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may no spiders fall on your head.

blog: www.colegibsen.blogspot.com

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:52:55 AM »
My book, Married to an Idiot, is about how I coped after The Spice It Up Marriage Counsler stole my husband away from me and left me with three dogs, six cats, and a live in mother-in-law, who thinks it was all my fault.

I tried to keep it to one sentence. Do you think my sentence is too long?

Thanks for any advice you wish to offer.
Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »
I don't think it's too long.  Is this a true story, because if it it, Wow!

I think this story would definitely get the attention of the right agent.

The mother-in-law actually stayed living with you after your husband walked out?

Offline Miss Java

• Kristal Shaff - Fantasy Author
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
Ummmm, let's see....

As a young woman tries to understand visions of a samurai past, an unknown enemy threatens to destroy all that she holds dear.

HA! Now THAT really DOES sound cliche'!!! ;D

I am struggling with that as well...the cliche thing.  How can I sell my story, when it is one of those guys who gain powers and defeat the evil king type of thing.  The originality of my story is more in the power sects and such. 

Sigh...what to do, what to do.

Offline JeffCrook

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
The one line thing with screenplays is called the log line.

Here is generally how I describe my novel:

It is the story of a beautiful country girl and her luckless moonstruck maybe-brother, a scheming sociopathic foster mother staring down bankruptcy, corrupt small town police, nymphomaniacs, necrophiliacs, a giant hog, and seven brothers born of seven different fathers selling dope to the locals at rock bottom Wal-Mart prices.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:39:02 PM »
It is the story of a beautiful country girl and her luckless moonstruck maybe-brother, a scheming sociopathic foster mother staring down bankruptcy, corrupt small town police, nymphomaniacs, necrophiliacs, a giant hog, and seven brothers born of seven different fathers selling dope to the locals at rock bottom Wal-Mart prices.

Interesting how this reminds me of home.  ;)

Lotheus

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 01:16:52 AM »
Especially the necrophiliacs.  Now I have to hear the title.   Come on Jeff, tell us.  It's gotta be a doozy.

Offline JeffCrook

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 10:55:39 AM »
The Title is rather mild. It's called "Some Day."

Lotheus

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
Hmmm...  I was hoping for "Dope Dealing Inbred Nymphomaniac Necrophiliac Giant Hogs From Hell."  It's all right, though, Jeff.  Not everyone can be as good at coming up with titles as I am. ;D