Author Topic: One must have patience ...  (Read 1886 times)

Offline BillyShakeaspear

One must have patience ...
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »
This site just keep growing and that's a good thing for us writer-folk. Every so often I feel it necessary to add my two cents worth on the subject of writing or finding an editor or anything else except politics/religion/living in Australia.
Today, 30 October, I rec'd a rejection from an agent I'd queried back in August! Now I understand these folks are busy, and they do get a lot of queries whether via post or email ... but 12 weeks? And then I thought about it a little ... at least she was nice enough to respond and that make me forgive her anything, even rejection.
I have another ms sitting on an agent's desk ... been there since early September. This woman instantly responded ... "will take a while to get to it, so be patient." And that is my message for today ... learn to be patient.
Personally I expect an instant response to my queries ... after all it only takes a couple seconds to write a "sorry, not interested" or "yes, send me the first 50 pages" doesn't it? Then I remembered something I read somewhere. And again I quote from an agent's website:
20,800 (Estimated number of queries read and responded to in 2006)
54 (Number of full manuscripts requested and read)
8 (Number of new clients taken on this year)
21 (Number of books sold this year—not counting subsidiary rights stuff)
6 (Number of projects currently under submission)

So I guess the good one's are busy ... and us writer-types will just have to be patient until they can find the time to get to us. Patience is a virtue, mom used to say ... probably time I got some of those.
That's all ... have patience and spend your time writing.
billy

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
Re: One must have patience ...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:42:46 PM »
welcome back!  how's oz?
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)