Author Topic: Waits Between Request and Submission  (Read 8023 times)

Offline Legionsynch

• This is Matthew Bomer. He's my happy thought.
Waits Between Request and Submission
« on: November 06, 2007, 07:10:11 AM »
So I was procrastinating earlier, and doing some research on agents, response times and things of that ilk.  And I noticed on a few boards where people listed their contact log (submitted on x, partial requested on x, etc), that there's more than a few times where an agent requests a partial or a full, and it's two months or longer between the request, and the actual submission.  I saw at least three examples of this just randomly researching on Verla Kay today.  Six weeks was the actual average, but there was one delay of two months, and another that was just a little over two months.

That's crazy.  Why are you querying if your novel isn't perfect?   If it's something that'll take two months of polish before you can send it out, then shouldn't you wait?  (Yeah, I know the answer to this, it's just the examples are kinda shocking me at the moment).
Witch Eyes:  Flux, Fall 2011

Offline Emeraldsky

Re: Waits Between Request and Submission
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:17:17 AM »
This is a fine example of stalling, Lege.  :up: Keep up the good work and you'll never be forced to go through all that hoopla.

Offline Legionsynch

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:20:27 AM »
 :'(

I like to think of it as doing the legwork in advance, so when I am ready to query (someday) I won't have to do much research because I've done it all already.   :yes:

Offline Emeraldsky

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:37:21 AM »
I stalled like that once... had a fantastic list of about 15 publishers. And then, at another formal stalling event, I reviewed them again to keep tabs on any news they might have, only to learn that 7 out of the 15 had become "agent-only" when I wasn't looking.

Offline Legionsynch

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:39:17 AM »
It's not stalling.  It's more like....portioning out the productivity.  Yeah. ;)

Offline Emeraldsky

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
Here's what you do to really really stall while working on your MS (of course, you don't learn much about agents this way- but it's still productive).

-Reveal your ms codes. (works the best if you have one file to work with.)
-Make sure ch titles/ch numbers are all consistently placed, and consistently sized. (equal lines above and below throughout the ms).
-Make sure all your indents are either indents or tabs for consistency. Never use both.
-Make sure there are NO spaces after the 'return' code, at each paragraph end.
-Make non-continuous section breaks after each chapter- so you can make footers labeling each chapter per section.
-Make sure your 'format' choice is consistent throughout. No 'body text' here and 'normal' there.
-Make sure your chapter titles are formated as some sort of 'header', so that if you wanted to make an index page, saying what pages chapters fall on.. it's ready to go.
-And lastly, when the last sentence of a paragraph ends with a single, or maybe two small words on the line, alter the rt margin of that paragraph to pull the last words up with the bulk of the paragraph. This is much more pleasing to the eye, and I've been able to decrease the ms page length by nearly 30 pages- just by doing this. Which can be VERY VERY important when an agent asks for 50 pages.. The only frustrating part is when you edit that same paragraph later on.. the margin width becomes wrongly adjusted, and you have to fix it. Also, the same should be done for pages. If there's three text lines on a page, because it's the end of a chapter, adjust margins throughout that chapter to pull those lines up into the previous page.

;D

Offline Abigail

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:22:55 AM »
Emsky...

Have you been spying on me?  I have actually done some of those things...making sure the spacer lines are equal, different things the same font size, etc.  Yikes!  I'm scaring myself just thinking about it. :cover:

But, on the other hand...I do think there is validity in doing some of these things.  You want to send out a perfect MS and some agents are very particular about margins, etc.  I have even seen that if there is just a couple of lines to finish the section or chapter that you should go ahead and send it even if it does make it 51 pages.

Abi
Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!

Offline audal

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
I have no holy clue what MS Codes or Return Codes or Non-Continuous Section Breaks are... but I definitely endorse trimming lines so a paragraph doesn't have that dangling single word.  Definitely a page saver.

I also think it'd be INSANE to not be able to submit a partial or full within seconds of getting the request.  Most I've waited was three days - only that long because it was my first full and I felt compelled to reread it.  Seriously, though people query for unprepared projects??

Insane.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Abigail

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Completely wacko! :wacky:

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »
As a graphic designer and formatting freak, I fully endorse Emsky's list. As for Lege:

I think we can call what you're doing. "Lege-work".

There, stalling-researching now has a new name.

Which is what I'm doing while my portfolio students spin their creative wheels in my class.

Offline Legionsynch

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 10:43:46 AM »
I have to say I like this pic better JW. :)

Offline Abigail

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 11:14:20 AM »
Okay...just saw someone printing this thread.  Hmmm...

Offline joanjunkmail

• zombies ate my dingo
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
I think we can call what you're doing. "Lege-work".

HILARIOUS!  i'm doing lege-work right now - i had down time at work and wrote 300 words (yes, i counted them, then i found an audit manual and read it - it was a VERY slow day), so now all i have to do is type it and add another 2000 words...i had to stop at work because it turned out two of the housemates were naked.  i have NO idea how that happened!  this 'no outline/let the plot flow' thing gets out of hand!

so, now i'm doing lege work
be nice to me or zombies will eat you in my novel
Proud Member of NGHS (even though I'm a pirate)

Offline Legionsynch

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 03:55:12 PM »
I can't decide if that's a compliment or an insult.

Oh well, I go with compliment.  Yay, I contributed to the QT lexicon.

Offline Abigail

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 05:11:18 PM »
HILARIOUS!  i'm doing lege-work right now - i had down time at work and wrote 300 words (yes, i counted them, then i found an audit manual and read it - it was a VERY slow day), so now all i have to do is type it and add another 2000 words...i had to stop at work because it turned out two of the housemates were naked.  i have NO idea how that happened!  this 'no outline/let the plot flow' thing gets out of hand!

LMAO :rolf: :rof2: :rof2: :rolf: :rof2: :rof2: :rolf:

I must say, I work without an outline and it can be quite exciting...however, I never had it get THAT exciting!

I did Lege-work earlier...and, now you can see I'm back Lege-working...I only wrote  118 words in between...

Abi