Author Topic: Something you should know  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Bolimin

Something you should know
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
An agent is like a commissioned salesman,  they get paid when they make the sale.  If I've got that wrong please give me gentle correction.  I am contracted with an agency, they aren't bad as far a I can tell, but they decided to charge me money to cover some of their fees.  I'm not contracted to do that so they relented.  There is another agency who wanted to charge m $200 if they signed a contract with me.  That doesn't sound right.  I could just see them after the contract is signed and they got my $200, just sitting there playing video games on my money.

Offline audal

Re: Something you should know
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
Have you cross-referenced the agency with whom you're contracted to the QueryTracker Agency List?

Many scam agencies will prey upon the unpublished.  Do your homework & be sure you haven't stumbled into any of them... For sure, fee-charging is how they bilk would-be writers out of money!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline elknutswife

• Website
Re: Something you should know
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:30:07 AM »
I second that...fee-charging is ALWAYS a red flag!
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com