Author Topic: Submitting to the same agent  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Legionsynch

• This is Matthew Bomer. He's my happy thought.
Submitting to the same agent
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »
So it's jumping the gun a bit, but I'm stalled on the edits for a moment.  But I had a full out to an agent, who's main issue with the work was the believability of the character.  She thought the writing was strong, loved the plot and the way I kept tension throughout the story, but Dylan didn't "come alive" to her.  Rightly so.  Importantly, she didn't offer to read after I edited, or suggest I keep her in mind for anything in the future.  The cynical part of me suggests it was a way to let me down easy, but I dunno.

It took a few months, and a lot of work on the WIP, but I realized the difference in my characters.  In the first book, the story is solid (I think), but there's no character arc.  Dylan ended the same way he began, with very little changed.  The agent had made a solid point, and if I'd realized it a bit sooner, I might have spent more time ripping through another series of edits on Novel #1.  In contrast, with novel #2, there's a much clearer character arc.  For most of the characters, but particularly the MC.

At some point, I hope to start querying for novel #2.  And I'd like to submit to that agent again.  So long story short, I'm wondering if I should mention that she'd requested and read other work by me?  Is that something you mention, or is it as bad as saying 'Bob the Agent at Cool Writers, Inc requested this and rejected me, but I'm sure you'll be a better fit.'  Or something. ;)

What's the thought?
Witch Eyes:  Flux, Fall 2011

Offline Legionsynch

Re: Submitting to the same agent
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »
You always know the right thing to say, Lannie. :)

Offline justwrite

• Why A: The Blog of Lisa Amowitz
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:30:46 PM »
Bless those agents and their short memories. Lannie's right on.

Offline audal

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »
Lege - sorry I missed this legit thread last night.

Not that a party isn't legit, but still...

My thoughts... In a few months, I'll begin querying for novel #2 less than a year after queries for novel #1.  I plan on approaching some of the same agents, but I am not going to mention they'd requested my partial before if they had done so.  The thinking is, this will be better than the last, and I want it to stand on its own merit.  Gut feeling is that if you mentioned someone passed (for whatever reason), it can only hurt your chances.  The only exception I've got is an agent who specifically asked me to send my next piece because she thoroughly enjoyed the style of the first.

But otherwise, I'm sure I'll just be an unrecognizable name in a large slush pile.

My two cents.
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Abigail

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
Lege,  I totally agree.  No point in giving a negative reminder.  Be positive and confident!
Literature is alive...don't strangle it with superfluous verbiage!

Offline coll

• Colleen Rowan Kosinski's Writing Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »
Yes, the past is left in the past.

Coll :)
Get your book trailer at http://booktrailers.alekkosinski.com

Offline elknutswife

• Website
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »
My thoughts too....good luck (when you're ready)  ;D
Author with Entangled Publishing - I write historical romance as Michelle McLean and contemporary romance as Kira Archer. Also have a few non-fictions thrown in for fun :-)
kiraarcherbooks.com and michellemcleanbooks.com

Offline Legionsynch

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »
Sounds like good advice.  Thanks all.  Like I said, I just hadn't seen that particular situation covered elsewhere before, so I wasn't sure of the proper etiquette. ;)