Author Topic: My first exclusive request (Update in 16: all is fine)  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: My first exclusive request
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:21 AM »
Man I don't understand that at all. They would like to see it if they can be the only one that sees it? So does that mean I like it, but I'm not gonna fight for it or what?

What it means is they don't want to be bothered with rushing to finish something faster than someone else. I guess.  Or they don't want to get sniped because two agents are reading it at the same time.

But nowadays the overall trend seems to be toward non-exclusivity, and I think most of the ones who want exclusives are at least willing to waive that if necessary.We shall see about this agent.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 08:46:31 AM »
Just want to update: reply today said sending it non-exclusive was fine, let them know if anything changes, and thanking me for being honest. :-) All is well.

Offline meddyK

• The Word is My Oyster
Re: My first exclusive request (Update in 16: all is fine)
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »
Hooray! :wink:
My blog: http://lydiakang.blogspot.com
I'm on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LydiaYKang
CONTROL (YA sci-fi) Dial/Penguin, December 2013
CATALYST (Control #2) Kathy Dawson Books, Fall 2014
Repped by Eric Myers of the Spieler Agency

Offline MaryL

• Marissa Clarke
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
 :up:
I write as Marissa Clarke and Mary Lindsey for Penguin/Random House and Entangled Publishing
Repped by Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
http://www.marissaclarke.com

Offline JessiD.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
Good luck Tabris!!
UNHINGED, WIP----> 10K
WIP----> 40K
THE VEIL----> Shelved

Offline augusto

• write under their noses
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
Well played!! :clap:
Will Tinkham's novels: THE CARY GRANT SANATORIUM AND PLAYHOUSE, THE GREAT AMERICAN SCRAPBOOK, THE ADVENTURES OF HANK FENN,
BONUS MAN, NO HAPPIER STATE and
ALICE AND HER GRAND BELL.

Offline Annarkie

• Happy Writing!
    • Supernatural Smut
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Excited for you! :koolaid:
Meow!

Offline Vince524

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
I think as long as you don't send a full to anyone else your OK.  I mean they cant hold it against you that you had already sent it to others.  Technically, you should send a letter to the others saying an agent has requested a exclusive.  I'm not really clear on the protocol.

Offline violet

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
I think as long as you don't send a full to anyone else your OK.  I mean they cant hold it against you that you had already sent it to others.  Technically, you should send a letter to the others saying an agent has requested a exclusive.  I'm not really clear on the protocol.

No, it goes the other way.  The ones who have it already have first priority. The one who wants the exclusive is asking for more than the standard, and I gave her the choice of either waiting for everyone elseto reject it (in which case, why would SHE want it) or having it right away knowing yes, others were reading and had the same good taste she does. :-)

Agents A, B and C shouldn't be put off just because Agent D wants the field clear. :-) And because this agent knows others have it, I would have no qualms about sending it to others as well now because there is no exclusivity agreement. I have agreed to notify them immediately should an offer come in, but that's just basic politeness.

munley

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
It's not deceptive. She requested it.

I absolutely agree that exclusives stink. There's no possible way this could benefit the author and every way it could benefit the agent (I just had to explain the whole process to my son, who just looked irritated afterward. "So it's like if you ask to test drive a Toyota, they say to you, 'Have you test driven a Honda? Well then you can't drive one of our Toyotas.'")

I'd just want to be up-front with them because I don't want to get in trouble later if (O happy dilemma) another agent makes an offer before their magical four week period ends. "Oh,  yeah, I *did* tell you it wasn't exclusive, but I guess you didn't open my submission packet yet to see that."

Believe it or not, I actually just discovered something good about an exclusive. I just granted a 6-week exclusive (on a partial, no less!) so that I can turn my attention away from querying and finish the new novel I have been working on. Since I was not disciplined enough to just sit down and get it done, I now have a framework of time to devote exclusively to finishing that new book, and I am, indeed, working on it. (Never thought I see the day when I'd see exclusives in a positive light.)