Author Topic: dating two agents at an agency  (Read 1837 times)

Offline nycgirl

• Elizabeth Lim
dating two agents at an agency
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
So an agent at a coference just requested a partial from me, and I just realized that I have an outstanding query with someone else at her agency. What should I do? Thanks!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: dating two agents at an agency
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:56 PM »
How far outstanding? Send the partial and if the other one requests, reply to that agent that you're terribly sorry but Other Agent requested it after a conference meeting.  Especially if they have a non-response policy, you can't possibly be expected to know if it's been rejected or just not gotten to yet.

Or, if the other agent rejects it, don't mention anything.

Offline tradergirl

• Marketing a book? Read BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com
    • Click Here for Tradergirl's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
A request trumps an outstanding query.  Just send the pages.  In the (statistically) unlikely event that the first one requests pages, then you can explain that you met the other  one at a conference... etc.

TG
Author of the novel JULIA'S CHILD (Jan 2012 Plume/Penguin) and THE SKI HOUSE COOKBOOK (Clarkson Potter 2007)
Are you interested in book publicity? BlurbIsAVerb.blogspot.com

Offline nycgirl

• Elizabeth Lim
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
Great, thanks! Karma to you both!

Offline MarkQuiet

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
Agree with the others - a partial outweighs an outstanding query.
If writing is a passion then editing is an obsession and only through obsession can writing be great.
The Alice Chronicles: Rabbit Slayer (YA/Urban Fantasy)
The Alice Chronicles: Family Ties (Book II)
weblog: http://alicechronicles.blogspot.com

Offline Hoosier

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
Any one have thoughts on querying a different agent after someone at the same agency has rejected the work? I know some agencies say on their websites it is okay to query more than one agent at a time as long as you let all the agents know this is what you are doing. But what if one agent rejects you and you still like the agency, can you query an different agent some time later?

Offline JessiD.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
Hi Hoosier! I jut gave  you your first karma point. Don't forget to introduce yourself at the Welcome New Users thread.
UNHINGED, WIP----> 10K
WIP----> 40K
THE VEIL----> Shelved

Offline violet

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Any one have thoughts on querying a different agent after someone at the same agency has rejected the work? I know some agencies say on their websites it is okay to query more than one agent at a time as long as you let all the agents know this is what you are doing. But what if one agent rejects you and you still like the agency, can you query an different agent some time later?

Actually, very few agencies want you to query agents w/i the same agency at the same time. (Yes, there are a few but not many). It's much more common to wait for an R from one agent and move on to the next agent at the same agency. Some agencies say a no from one is a no from all. You just need to read the guidelines because it varies so much.

Offline Hoosier

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Thanks, JessID -- I'll be on the look for this information in the guidelines. If the info isn't available I think it would be okay to send a new query to another agent, especially if more than a year has gone by and the work has had a substantial shift?

Offline Magic_Seeker

• My new muse
    • Mantua-Maker, Magic Seeker
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
I've read you should wait three or four months, so you should be fine.  You might want to change the title, though, in case they track such things.
Happy writing,
  Deb Salisbury, the Magic Seeker
  http://blog.DebSalisbury.com
  My shops: http://www.etsy.com/shop/MantuaMakerPatterns
  and http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagicSeeker Dragons