Author Topic: Tee-hee...magazine article (finally) published!  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Abbey

Tee-hee...magazine article (finally) published!
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
Hi,
I'm still a newbie to the board, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place - I wanted to share news about my first official publication (3 years in the making!).  It's an article in Today's Christian Woman that I wrote eight years ago.  It took the magazine 3 years to publish it, for some reason, but it finally happened.  They've put the article on their website, too:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tcw/2007/novdec/5.34.html

(Lynn Morgan is my pseudonym...since it's such a personal article, I decided to use one). 

For the most part, the editors kept the content the same as my original submission, but they did chop it up a fair bit, here and there.  Still, I'm SO glad to see it in print after all this time...  ;D
The unexamined life is not worth living. --Socrates

Offline Nostrabuttus

• Jack LaBloom Romance Writer or Maybe Not
Re: Tee-hee...magazine article (finally) published!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »
Hi Abbey,

Congratulations on your magazine article.  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done.
Author of humorous short stories, mainstream suspense, mystery, and thriller novels.

https://jmdavisauthor.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @jmdavisauthor
http://jacklabloom.blogspot.com/

Offline LeahClifford

• Global Moderator
    • visit my website!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:39:54 PM »
Congrats! Good to see some success on the QT!
A Touch Mortal
A Touch Morbid
A Touch Menacing
Vial Things
Something Grave (coming out 9/7/21!)

Offline kallex

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:32:22 PM »
 :clap:Fantastic!  I hope this success continues.

Offline audal

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 12:28:39 AM »
Hey... Congratulations Abbey/Lynn/ChelseaWriter!

How strange it must feel to see your writing about something that was so fresh at its inception, yet know may feel like a lifetime ago.

Wild applause & Karma for ya!
Quillkeepers' Tavern Management: Slingin' Cocktails & Wisecracks Since Mid-August.

Offline Abbey

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »
Abbey, my compliments on your article. I found it poignant, honest, never preachy, and ultimately hopeful. Good for you!

I almost hesitate to ask if that picture is really you. What a young beauty she was! I'm sure the adult version is just as beautiful. God bless.   :)

Thanks so much for your kind words!  (And thanks to everyone else who's posted, too!!)

The editors and I went back and forth quite a bit about the first two paragraphs - the "gory details" of the reason for the breakup weren't nearly as specific in my original manuscript.  This article was intended to be about my experience POST-divorce, not PRE.  But the editors kept nudging for more.  Finally, at one point, after making changes they wanted, I firmly (but kindly) told them - "This is all the information I'm comfortable giving about the breakup itself."  They backed away, and the editor even called to apologize.  So, in the end, it worked out.

And nope, that picture isn't me (I have no idea who it is, lol   ???).  I was curious to see how the layout in the magazine would end up looking (picture and all), and I was really pleased with it.  Very professionally done.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:32:22 AM by Abbey »

Offline Abbey

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:29:47 AM »
Hey... Congratulations Abbey/Lynn/ChelseaWriter!

How strange it must feel to see your writing about something that was so fresh at its inception, yet know may feel like a lifetime ago.

Wild applause & Karma for ya!

LOL at all my new "names"!! 

You're so right - it feels weird, reading that article that I had written while I was in so much pain.  There are years of distance now, and I'm healed of that pain, so it's like reading someone else's words. 

I told a friend about the article and she let me know that her daughter was going through the exact same thing (a bitter divorce) - she seemed so grateful to have something (the article) to give her daughter that might help her know she's not alone.  I told her how wonderful/strange it was that words I wrote eight years ago (when this girl wasn't even married!) would maybe help someone right now. 

I love seeing how God can go way beyond me, even in years, and use something that way.  Too cool.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:55:22 AM by Abbey »

Offline coll

• Colleen Rowan Kosinski's Writing Studio
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 12:24:56 PM »

Very uplifting story. Congratulations!

Coll :clap:
Get your book trailer at http://booktrailers.alekkosinski.com