Author Topic: How long should you take to send your partial?  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Alniah

How long should you take to send your partial?
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
I just got sent a request for a partial (yeah!! my first ever) and I need to shorten my 4-page synopsis to a 2 pager. So I was wondering. Is there a timetable to follow when responding to partials? Of course I am not talking about a week but maybe 2-3 days as I do have a day job too (lol). Just enough to sum my synopsis up. WOuld an agent lose interest in that period of time? Would they me mad?
"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

Offline violet

Re: How long should you take to send your partial?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »
I just got sent a request for a partial (yeah!! my first ever) and I need to shorten my 4-page synopsis to a 2 pager. So I was wondering. Is there a timetable to follow when responding to partials? Of course I am not talking about a week but maybe 2-3 days as I do have a day job too (lol). Just enough to sum my synopsis up. WOuld an agent lose interest in that period of time? Would they me mad?

Not at all. I think you can take up to two weeks. Generally, you want to reply asap because they've assumed you're querying because you're ready to go. But 2-3 days is fine.

Congrats on the partial!  :clap:

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »
I took three days to give my pages another review, tightening a little bit, checking for typos, missed words (my bugaboo), etc. Better to send a polished partial rather than rush. The agent is expecting the pages but probably has a million other things going on, too. He/she may not even notice that you took a few extra days.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline alisonbeightol

• It was a dark and stormy night
    • adventures of the cautionary tale
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
 :agree:
I would imagine that they kind of lose track until you send the pages. In fact, I've gotten requests where the agent wanted you to reply with the response they sent so they could
be reminded.
Life in Moonlight and Blood of New Beginnings available now on Kindle and Audible.
Death Hunter- November 2018
One Question Before I Go-December 2018