Author Topic: Need a Beta Reader  (Read 2479 times)

Offline longknife

Need a Beta Reader
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:40:13 PM »
Okay, I finished this new novel of 96,000 words and have done a quick, first revision and edit. Now, I'd like to find some willing to give me a critique and comments on their overall impression. If you are interested, send me a PM with an email and I'll send a rich text version of it.

SYNOPSIS - THE CARPENTER AND THE SAILOR
El Carpintero y el Marinero
(A tale of the 18th Century New World)

A young Cahita Indian living in the hills of Sinaloa, Mexico is one of three survivors of a smallpox epidemic. He’s found by Franciscan friars led by Father Junipero Serra and Taken to the mission in Culiac├ín. While Father Serra and the others move on to Baja California, Jaimenacho as he is now known, lives in the mission. He improves his Spanish and is taught to be a carpenter. Jaime likes mission life as he always has a full belly, a roof over his head and decent clothing.

Timothy Beadle of Devon, England, is indentured to a ship’s captain as his cabin boy. He sails from Plymouth on the HM Brig Willoughby. He quickly finds that he likes life at sea and learns the ins and outs of a sailing ship. They round Cape Horn into the Pacific and capture two Spanish ships; one carries guano which is worth more than gold in England and another loaded with corn - and silver. The Willoughby continues north, making landfall several times on the California coast, then continues to present day Puget Sound where it spends a summer trading for furs. On the homeward voyage, they encounter a fierce cyclone and Tim is washed overboard.

Jaime is sent to Baja where he helps restore the mission in La Paz. The larger town of Todos Santos is in need of help and Jaime is among those sent. He weathers the cyclone and, when going to find one of the boats washed away, comes upon a huddle in the sand. He had earlier dreamed of the encounter, the bundle being a white ocelot. He and the others are amazed by the boy’s blue eyes and pale, freckled skin.

Jaime and Tim become good friends in spite of their language differences. A recently widowed woman, Carla, take Tim into her bed. Jaime finds a girl who lives in the nearby mountains who has been covertly watching him. She urges and he proposes and they are married by the friars.

Jaime, Butterfly, Tim and Carle find themselves part of Father Serra’s task of establishing one new mission in Baja California then following the cruel and rugged King’s Highway north to establish missions in Alte California to expand the Spanish king’s control of New Spain.

The Carpenter and the Sailor fills in holes in the history of California and shows another side of the Christianization of the Indians.

A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com
Father Serra's Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

Offline JayliaDarkness

• Icon and Art by Selina Fenech www.ageofenchantment
Re: Need a Beta Reader
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
I am looking for a beta reader; however, my stories are YA Fantasy.  I have a wide variety of likes when it comes to books, and yours sounds very interesting.  Please send me a message if you are interested.