Author Topic: request for partial but wants exclusive  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
Re: request for partial but wants exclusive
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Aw, thanks guys. Yes, first request since I started requerying April 30.  The old query still works good for me.  I sent out three of the new version last week.  I think I will send that email and see what she says. Finishing touches should go into my first 50 today(I hope!).
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline MarvaD

• MG/YA Fantasy
    • Marva Dasef
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
"I'm afraid I can't offer you an exclusive because it's already under consideration on a non-exclusive basis elsewhere. I can either send it anyhow or, if you would prefer, I could wait and send it to you when it becomes available. Please let me know which you would prefer."
Good one, Tabris. Except the repetition of 'you would prefer'.

I'd end the last one with 'let me know.'

However, maybe just send the partial attached and say it cannot be exclusive. That way, you don't have to go back and forth. Ask her to confirm she's taking the partial under consideration without exclusivity.

I'm a little tired of the tiptoeing (does that have an 'e'?) around agents. Just follow their guidelines, but act like you're a person selling a product that the agent really wants. 'Cause you are.

Offline Molly Z

• Unheard Melodies
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
Congrats on the request, Kimmy.  You may have already sent your note to the agent, but something that jumped out at me is the repetition of the same word close together.  ("exclusive" repeated close together, "offer" close together, etc.)  Maybe it's English teacher mode coming out but I'd tweak it to:

Dear Agent,
Thank you for your interest in Soul Stalker.  I am sorry that I am unable to offer you an exclusive read because it's already under consideration on a non-exclusive basis elsewhere.  However, I would be happy to send you the requested material and notify you if any offers arise prior to accepting the offer.  Please let me know if this is acceptable.  If so, I will send the requested materials out to you.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline Kimmy

• My Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
Here is what i sent, too late if it sucks!  How does it sound? By the way, is it  bad form, bad luck, or bad juju to post the names of agents interested in our work or for things like this?  I guess the one problem I see is they can google their name and come to this link, but otherwise?...
Dear Ms. Agent,

Thank you for your interest in SOUL STALKER.  I'm sorry that I am unable to offer you an exclusive submission because it's already under consideration on a non-exclusive basis elsewhere.  However, I would be happy to send you the requested material via email or postal service and notify you first if an offer is made for representation.  Please let me know if this is acceptable.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Kimmy :)

Triangles--Spencer Hill Press, 2013
Lost Reputation--Evernight Teen, 2016
Parallel Triangles--Evernight Teen, 2017
@KimberlyAnnNJ
https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.a.miller.180
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5820784.Kimberly_Ann_Miller

Offline mercy740

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 02:50:59 AM »
Sounds good, Kimmy. I just sent out a similar partial where the agent requested an exclusive on their website, but stated it was ok if it had already been sent out to multiple agents, just to inform him if I did. And so I informed him.

I wish I could say that telling the agent that the manuscript is also with a lot of famous agents/houses makes the MS seem 'hotter', but it isn't. It kind of backfired on me. One agent simply assumed I wouldn't want to rewrite for him because I had other people waiting out there who might be willing to take the MS as it is - until I told him, "No! I'm willing to rewrite!!"

And that's where I am now, still rewriting.